We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Hi - considering a road trip with my 10 y/o: 1 adult and 1 child, first 2 weeks in Aug. First of all, he LOVES road trips and driving and stopping to take pictures and exploring new places, especially nature, so we are not timid of being in the car all day with many stops!

I prefer moderate price hotels rather than motels, unless there is a MUST-SEE/MUST-STAY kind of place, we can be adventurous! Price is always a consideration, but prefer to spend a little more to have safe clean place with nice sheets and towels after a long day driving and sightseeing. I have basic GPS on my phone, but can buy something for the car if it is recommended.

We also LOVE taking horseback sightseeing tours, so would love some feedback on any horseback spots or ranches to stay overnight - wake up and pick our own eggs for breakfast! We have appx 12-13 days. Would even consider one-way driving and fly home to LAX or fly out and one-way drive home.

We want to explore the beauty but long hikes are not feasible d/t medical reasons. Short easy hikes, definitely. Places that offer tram, horseback, golf cart tours, etc... will make it much more do-able for us!

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,794 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

If you fly one way you have to consider sometime steep one way car rental fees.

Seems like a lot to cover in two weeks if you decide to drive from and to LA.

Yellowstone deserves 4-5 days, 1-2 days for Cody, and 2-3 days for the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole then it is a two day drive to the Grand Canyon and you need a couple of days there.

Lots of tours, horseback riding, ranch experiences in and around Yellowstone. Yellowstone also has diversity of scenery and wildlife.

In Jackson Hole at the base of the Grand Tetons they have an aerial tram, rafting, and ranch experiences.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

For about 2 weeks:

round trip:

1. drive to Springdale

2. Zion

3. Bryce

4. UT 12/Capitol Reef...drive up to Salt Lake city

5 drive to west yellowstone...do NE part of the park(Norris, Mamouth hot springs) and stay in Gardiner

6. Mamouth Hot Springs, drive to Canyon then to Cody...evening rodeo in Cody.

7. Chief Josephy , beartooth highway, Lamar...stay in Gardiner or West Yellowsotne

8 Old Faithful area for the day ...night in Jackson

9, Grand Teton for the day ...night in Jackson

10. Grand Teton AM, drive to start drive to Grand canyon

11 drive to Grand canyon

12-13 Grand canyon

14 drive home

An alternate option: skip days 2-4 and instead use those days in Moab.between days 10 and 11

For a one way trip....this involves alot of comparing prices between LA nd these airports and the one way rental costs going either way.

airports to look at: Salt Lake City, Bozeman , MT, Billings, MT, Idaho Falls, ID, and Jackson, WY

For a one way trip say flying to yellowstone and then driving back to LA.

Say bozeman, Mt you fly into

day 1 fly to Bozeman..drive to Gardiner...Mamouth hot springs area

day 2 Mamouth hot springs, Lamar Valley to Cody

day 3 Cody

day 4 Lake yellowstone, Canyon-Norris area, Hayden valley to west yellowstone.

day 5 old faithful...drive to Jackson

day 6-7 Grand Teton....afternoon of day 7 drive down to Rock Springs, WY or Vernal, UT

day 8 drive to Moab, PM Moab.

day 9-10 Moab

day 11 AM Moab, PM Monument Valley

day 12 Monument Valley in AM, drive to Grand Canyon, Grand canyon PM

day 13-14 Grand Canyon

day 15 drive home.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

OP, do you mean Yellowstone (in Wyoming) or Yosemite (in California)? They are often confused. Sorry, just checking because Yellowstone is such a huge distance away.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Hi - thanks everyone for the ideas. I mean Yellowstone... but maybe it is a bit much. We have to start at Grand Canyon because we are meeting up with some folks in Chandler Az, first, then driving on to Grand Canyon with them - they want to do the 4 corners then up to Yellowstone and back down to Los Angeles. As I am planning, I see people secure hotels nearly a year in advanced - am I doomed since I am just starting the planning...?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Hi Again... What about if we took Yellowstone off the trip. What things would we want to see/do if we did this:

Los angeles, Chandler, Az (Family, will stay 2-3 nights and will pick up friends for Grand Cyn), Grand cyn, 4 corners, zion/bryce, las vegas, back to LA. We love taking horse tours and also have done rafting (low key young child-friendly), love water and horses!... prefer 4-5/5 hotels spots with pools or kid-oriented area... The Ranch experience PeachBelle8288 mentioned is Yellowstone area - are there excellent spots (kid-friendly) without heading up to Yellowstone... I truly am on the fence about it and could go either way... if we stick with Yellowstone, would not do Las Vegas... Thanks !!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

With Four Corners, are you including these?

Monument Valley

Mesa Verde National Park

The San Juan Skyway including the Million Dollar Highway

The Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (well worth seeing even if you don't ride the train)

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park

A Google search for:

horse riding southwestern colorado

comes up with a lot of hits, but it's not a subject I know anything about so I don't know if any of them are any good or not.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

I think you're on the right track by cutting Yellowstone. I would make that, Grand Tetons NP and Glacier NP a separate trip. I don't think 4 corners is worth the detour particularly now that there's debate on whether it's even situated properly. Put Page on the itinerary; take a raft float on the Colorado River and/ or boat on Lake Powell.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Yeah - I think we can do Yellowstone another time... I like to be leisure and take in day trips on horseback or on the water, seems more feasible without going too far North.

texhills Four corners just because we have young kids that find it cool... despite the debate, but truly, the day trips and ranch experiences, meeting people of the area, and water excursions take precedent. We are considering helicopter through the Cyn - is this really safe and worth it...?

John259259 I honestly do not know what to include, so I am very grateful for all the suggestions.

Thanks everyone with ideas and guidance!

Happy Summer!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Hi Again,

This is the plan: Los Angeles, Chandler Az (3 nights), then leaving early in AM from Chandler to Grand Cyn, Moab, Zion, Bryce, (possibly Las Vegas if time), back to LA. 10 days (including 3 days in Chandler) so 7 days for the rest.

How would you split up the days? Travleing with a 10 y/o, travels well and loves driving and stopping and exploring and taking pics, also seeing sights on horseback and by river...

Ive never been and dont know the best spots to explore with a child or what hotels to stay (4-5/5 rating, pool would be nice!)

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip: Los Angeles, Grand Cyn, Yellowstone, back to LA

Does this seem reasonable? And how would you drive this route to make the most of sightseeing and cool places to see with a 10 y/o...?

Chandler Day 1, 2 (was thinkg 3 days, but will be 2 nights and 3 days - leave mid afternoon day 3)

G.C Day 3, 4

Page Day 5

Moab Day 6, 7

Bryce/Zion Day 8, 9

LV Day 10, 11,

drive home on day 12

We can always skip LV - just seemed to be on the way home...

Thanks!!!