We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks from Atlanta

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Two weeks from Atlanta

Hey all,

We're thinking about a two week trip from Atlanta in early October. The early plan is something like this:

1 night Montgomery, AL

2 night Pensacola, FL (camp)

2 night New Orleans, LA

1 night Rocky Springs, Trace Parkway, MS (camp)

1 night Tupelo, Trace Parkway, MS (camp)

3 night Nashville, TN

3 night Smoky Mountains, TN (camp)

1 night Atlanta, GA

Does anyone have any must sees or suggestions around this route? Do the timings sound okay?

We want a mix of city life and scenery and walking.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,475 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

Missing two great areas of MS-

Vicksburg and Natchez- both full of history, scenery, MS River views, great food, etc.

Have never been to Rocky Springs area but know it is near the Port Gibson area.

You would need at least another day in the area to see Natchez plantations and Vicksburg Civil War battlefield, historic murals, etc.

Check the Tupelo area for updates after terrible storms there this spring that destroyed many areas south of the city and near the parkway.

In the Smoky Mts. NP we like the area around Townsend, TN- here you can do the Cades Cove Loop Rd., tube on the Little River, etc.

Most people who travel in this part of the south also want to spend at least a day in Memphis- what about Elvis Presley's Graceland, Beale St, Civil Rights museum, and great BBQ?

Enjoy your trip planning and let us know if you have other questions!!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

I like this. Your daily mileages are low enough to allow you to use slower and more interesting roads than the interstates if you wish. Well done discovering the Natchez Trace, that's a road that not many people in Britain have ever heard of.

I just wonder whether it might be worth reversing the direction though so as to visit the Smokies a bit earlier in the autumn?

I guess you know Tupelo was the birthplace of Elvis Presley, if that interests you.

In the Smokies, I'd very highly recommend a visit to Cades Cove, a beautiful remote valley with a lot of pioneer wooden cabins and farm buildings. Apologies if that was already in your plans.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,475 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

Mid to late October will usually be a good time for fall colors in the Smokies.

Here is a link to things of interest with photos in MS-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7474010…

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

Thanks guys.

I listed the overnight stops, so will try and squeeze in things on days in between:

A morning in Natchez before heading onto the Trace.

A day in Memphis between nights in Tupelo and Nashville. We're not bothered by the Elvis stuff. Is it still worth spending more time in Memphis?

And Vicksburg is just off the Trace near to rocky springs too.

Good points about the weather and fall colours. We're flexible, planning to camp or motel most nights, so can decide which way round closer to the time.

What temperature ranges can I expect in October?

PS. Saw the Trace on a National Geographic atlas and wondered what the heck it was. With a bit of googling, it seems like the perfect way to road trip between New Orleans and Nashville. :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

Apologies if you've already discovered these:

National Park Service - Natchez Trace Parkway: http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

There's a link in the left margin to a map (which like the parkway itself is long and thin)

Natchez Trace Milepost List americantourassociation.com/usa_can/…ntp2.htm

6. Re: Two weeks from Atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:16