We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Hey all-

I am planning a road trip honeymoon. The soon to be wife and I are planning to leave Mid November of this year (2014). We are renting a 25' RV and hitting the road. Our starting point is Dallas, TX and ending point is Seattle, WA. In Seattle we drop off the RV and fly back home.

Some highlights we want to hit are as follows.

Sante Fe, NM

Grandcanyon

Drive up the Pacific Coast Highway Starting in San Diego

Yosemite

Red Wood National Forest

Maybe end the PCH in Oxnard, CA?

Portland, OR

Seattle, WA - END of Trip

Because we have three weeks, our plan is to slowly meander our way. We plan to hit some RV parks and mix in some five star hotels for good measure. After all, it is our honeymoon. :)

We both have travelled extensively together but not in the states. Here are my questions.

1) Are there any highlights that you suggest we add to our itinerary on those routes?

2) Any areas you suggest we might remove?

3) Is there a part of the Grand Canyon we can see without going quite a bit out of the way?

4) Last but not least. Is three weeks doable when driving roughly 3,500 miles with a bit of leisure?

Thank you for ya'lls help.

stan

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Hi, be sure you know how to manage your water and sewer hoses in the motorhome, and make sure you keep it warm inside if you hit cold weather. Grand Canyon will be very chilly and only the south rim will be open.

Stay in RV parks with at least electrical hookups.

It's a long way for 3 weeks in winter, although much of California will be warm-ish. expect much more cold rain as you head north.

3,500 miles divided by 3 weeks = about 1,200 miles per week divided by 7 days = an average of about 200 miles per day.

Other than on a straight flat freeway, you will average around 50 MPH, so 200 miles = about 4 hours per day. The 50 MPH average includes fuel stops, brief lunch stop but *not* sightseeing stops.

If you consider driving 4 hours per day, every day for three weeks to be leisurely...

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Thanks for the reply. There will be days when we drive most of the time. Your math is correct; however, I don't plan to break it down to 200mi per day. For instance, when we leave Dallas we will drive directly to Sante Fe, NM. From Sante Fe, NM we will drive to the South rim of Yellowstone, etc.

My notion of leisure was a bit misleading. We don't mind the open road and enjoy the adventure. Doing longer drives seems to make a bit of sense so we can enjoy each location for a few days.

Great advice regarding electrical hookups.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

It's closer to 170 miles per day which in much of the West is a 2.5 hour drive. Don't know why you would want to get off PCH in Oxnard before most beautiful stretch up to Monterey. Are you wedded to an RV? A car is a lot better to have in places like Santa Fe and isn't affected by winds as much as an RV.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

>>It's closer to 170 miles per day which in much of the West is a 2.5 hour drive.<<

Usually not in a motorhome with possible crosswinds, uphill grades, slower curves, etc. The 50 MPH average that we have used for many years in our RV includes fuel stops, a quick lunch stop but *not* sightseeing stops.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Yes I've seen rv's laboring up grades but also moving 75mph across I40. Seems the calculation should be different if only moving a short distance without lunch or fuel stops. Whatever, it isn't clear if Stan has experience with an rv like you do.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Dallas to Santa fe in one day? that's 13 hours with an RV. Santa Fe to Grand Canyon is 9 hours if you are lucky with the weather in november. How long do you want to stay in Santa fe? Picking up an RV will take several hours and you also need several hours for buying groceries and after an international flight you'll have to stay put for one night before you can pick up the RV. But I'm not sure where you're from. Your profile doesnot tell.

We already spent 3 weeks between San Diego and Seattle and that was by car. The name Pacific Coast hw ends in Oxnard indeed but I'm sure you will want to drive hw1 along the coast.

Tet

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Great posts here. A few things.

We've changed our drop off point to San Francisco. Going all the way to Seattle seemed a bit much. From what I have read, we can still see great Red Woods just north of the Golden gate bridge in San Francisco to feed our need for Red Wood National Park.

1) I am brand new to the RV experience. I plan to arrange to pick up the RV one day prior to us leaving to get her ready to go and rigged up. I'm setup up to go through RV basics at my local pick up point in a few months once the RV is booked.

2) We plan to stay in Sante Fe for two nights.

3) A car rental is a possibility; however, we like the idea of an RV adventure.

4) We have not booked the RV yet. Still shopping. Right now the quotes are roughly $4,000 for the rental with a $500 refundable deposit. So $3,500 for the rental for three weeks, this covers 3k miles with a refund for miles we do not use.

5) I'm located in Dallas, Texas.

Thanks All!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Why are you trying to do this in late november????

I-40 and points north are going to be cold. Alot of places close for winter.

If you insist on doing this at this time...focus instead on driving I-10 and exploring southern Arizona and New Mexico and Southern Califonia

over 3 weeks it would break down as such:

2 days drive from DAL to Santa Fe

2 days Santa Fe

2 days drive to souther rim

1 day South Rim

4 days southern Arizona

3 days Southern Califonoa

3 days LA to SF coast drive

4 days SF (Id advice return RV before stay and just stay in SF at a hotel.

Dallas, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Good question Dan P. We are doing this in Late November because that's when we are getting married. It's our adventure honeymoon.

Great itinerary and something to consider for sure. I appreciate the advice.

Would it be a stretch to skip the 4days of southern Arizona to attempt a Yosemite stay or would that be a stretch?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Week One Way Road trip from Dallas, TX - Seattle

Yosemite easily already can have snow and Tioga pass prob will be closed. If I read correctly you don't have experience with an RV so also not with camping at places with freezing nights. Places like Joshua Tree and Death Valley NP will be pleasant in november.