We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cross-Border Road Trip with Car Rental (Chicago to Montreal)

Richmond, Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
Cross-Border Road Trip with Car Rental (Chicago to Montreal)

Hey Everyone!

A friend and I will be taking a road trip from Chicago to Montreal sometime in late July. We're trying to find a one-way, unlimited miles rental in Chicago and plan on dropping it off in Montreal where we will part ways.

Do any of you have tips or experiences doing something similar? I've read forums of some doing a similar trip from Montreal to the US. Would it be much different renting a car in the US and dropping it off in the Canada? Are there any companies you would suggest? Would it be cheaper to drive back to Chicago to avoid international drop-off fees?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cross-Border Road Trip with Car Rental (Chicago to Montreal)

My tip is dont bother doing it--cost will be high

An alternate option is after Montreal to drive back into the states and return the car to Burlington, VT, Boston, or NYC area.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cross-Border Road Trip with Car Rental (Chicago to Montreal)

No experience. We rented cars in the USA, brought them to Canada but went back to USA so please check fees first.

3. Re: Cross-Border Road Trip with Car Rental (Chicago to Montreal)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:15