We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

3 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

Hey there,

We are a couple from India doing a road trip from LA to Houston and we intend to finish in three days what are our options for sight seeing during this trip

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

Three days may not leave much beyond drive, eat, sleep... part of this is a function of your experience on long drives...

Sight seeing can vary from the various brass plaques telling a bit about something that happened to "the world's largest ball or string" to cities to major sites which could take days...

As you leave LA there are the Cabazon Dinasours, Sheild's Dates in Indio. or the Patton Museum... Tucson has some interesting places... including John Dillinger's "tommy gun" on display in the lobby of the police station... Beyond Tucson a diversion would take you to Hatch NM for chilies... there are Spanish mission sites around El Paso....

At Van Horn you could take Hwy 90 through Marfa...

Of course San Antoino has the Alamo and the River walk...

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,922 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

For a more pleasant drive & to avoid down town Phoenix ... Turn on the 85 South, to Gila Bend(watch that speed) & the I-8. Continue on the I-10, passing Tucson and go as far as your comfort level allows ... I also suggest turning South, on the more interesting, US 90 at Van Horn ... Over nighting in Say, Del Rio or Uvalde... Then in the AM avoiding the morning commute drive the ring freeway to the South of San Antonio to the soul less I-10 into Houston ... carracar

Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

Quartzite is a funky little town with roadside businesses where many RVs stay in winter. It's not a sightseeing place, but we usually stop at Love's, a gas station/convenience store. You might enjoy driving through and stopping if anything interests you.

Phoenix is an 8 hour drive from LA. Desert Botanical Garden is open till 8 p.m. It's not far from I10.

Las Cruces/Mesilla has a strong Mexican influence and great Mexican food-like La Posta and Andele. However these are not fast meals.

San Antonio has Riverwalk, nice place to take a brief cruise and hear the history of the area. Try to make San Antonio an overnight stop.

4. Re: Road trip from Los Angeles to Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:15