We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Since it is a 30 hour drive from the Tulsa, Oklahoma area to Bend, Oregon I am interested in possible historical sites or places to see along our way to make the car ride more enjoyable. We have two teenagers, 13 (girl) & 17(boy), with us so we will likely need to stop to stretch our legs a few times. We will be stopping at least once over night before getting to Bend, but we haven't decided where we will stop yet. We are taking the route that takes us through KS to get there. Any tips or suggestions of things to see or places to stop would be appreciated.

Also, we have never made this trip before. So, we are not sure exactly what we HAVE to see while we are in Bend or on the coast. We have just really wanted to see the northwest part of the country so we decided to make the trip. We are leaving either June 19 or 20 and have a cabin rented in Bend for seven nights starting on June 22 through June 29. We would love to see the coast while we are there. My husband saw, online, there are tidal pools and other neat things to explore on the coast so we are interested in whether this should be a day trip or should be plan on staying at least one night on the coast? We are not opposed to adding a day to our trip in order to do this. We also love exploring and being outside. However, we are not avid hikers, so anything we do needs to likely be kept to novice level. We want to keep things as easy on the budget as possible, too. We are interested in outdoor activities as well as historical sites.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

I suggest ... Make your way to Denver & drive the I-70. Overnight in Glenwood Springs for a good soak ... At Green River the 6 to Provo & the I-25(try to avoid commute hours through SLC). The I-84 will take you to Ontario OR. & the 20 into Bend ... You need to plan at least, two nights enroute, to avoid mutiny in the back seat ! carracar

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Yes, that's also my advice. Via 25/80 from Denver may be a bit shorter bit I70 is more scenic. Rd number along SLC is I15. Bend to the coast is some 4 hours of driving one way so not a daytrip in my book.

1900 miles between Tulsa and bend via I70 so 3 days of a long time in the car. That will take more than 30 hours with stops, roadworks etc. imo.

In KS you can make a stop at Goodland

Tet

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Thank you for the helpful information. I have heard the drive is beautiful once we get out of KS, but still a long one. I just want to figure out the best way to enjoy it and avoid "mutiny in the backseat". I laughed out loud at that! This helps!!

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

I see that taking I70 takes us to UT, ID and then we head to OR. We originally planned to go I70 to I80 through Wyoming and Idaho. What you are saying is the drive is more scenic to take I70 to what looks like state hwy 50/191/6. Hopefully I am looking at google maps correctly. :/ Thinking that a stop at Glenwood Springs sounds nice!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

I'd look at a route something like this - http://goo.gl/maps/YbJf8

I-70 westbound, out to the coast to Bandon OR, then up the coast (numerous beaches, villages, scenic points) to Astoria. Visit Cape Disappointment on the WA side of the mouth of the big river (scenic, Lewis & Clark history) then head east through the Columbia Gorge (waterfalls, rafting, windsurfing, Mt. Hood) and return east via I-90 across Montana to the Black Hills. Stop at the Little Big Horn battlefield, see the "faces" at Mt. Rushmore, visit Deadwood and Lead, then head south and across central Nebraska through the Sand Hills - remarkably scenic and historic.

Long trip but lots of diversity and things to distract your teens.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

It's 'I70 till Green River Ut. Then us6 to Price and Spanish Fork. I15 to I84 to Ontario and to Bend via us20.

Think the OP wants to stay for a week in Bend. Couple of days at the coast will be great though.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

>> Think the OP wants to stay for a week in Bend. Couple of days at the coast will be great though. <<

But the OP doesn't say when they have to return, nor how long they have to do it. Day trips to the coast from Bend are longer than practical.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Bend to the coast is not practical...it's over 3 hrs one way to the beach towns.

Crater lake is a day trip away. Mt hood and Columbia gorge can be done in a long one day trip.

Either before or after they will probably want to drive to the coast for a few days.

Stopping points for the drive would be Denver/Colorado springs and salt lake city.

For Colorado you could drive Have some route options through the state...you could go the southern route to Durango the US 550, you could drive US 50 then over independence pass to aspen then to I-70 or up to Denver then I-70.

On the wy back you could take a different way back thru Colorado or drive through Idaho and Wyoming.

Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

Thank you all for your input. We have definitely see that going to the coast for one day is out, so we are thinking an overnight trip at least. You have given us lots of insight and ideas. Thanks so much! I am so looking forward to this trip.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 03:01
Sand Springs...
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Road Trip from Oklahoma to Bend, Oregon and NW coast

I apologize for not being more clear on my post, but Tet14 is right we really are trying to drive hard to OR and then see as much as we can of the state. I will spare you the details of why we are in Bend a week, but we do have a cousin who lives in the area. Unfortunately, we are locked into our rental as it's a reschedule from a trip we were unable to take last year (long story) and my cousin now will only be there a couple of days while we are visiting. I thought I had indicated in my post that we were planning to leave on June 19 and checking out of our rental on June 29. We are planning to be back in OK on July 1. Last year we thought about seeing Mt. Rushmore, but feel it would be too much for this trip. From this post, I mostly wanted a good idea of which route we should take to get there and where we should stop for breaks. I guess you wouldn't call it a sightseeing road trip. I haven't used the site a lot so I am trying to keep all the guidelines in mind and learn the lingo. I apologize for not being so post savvy.

Anyway, I didn't even think about posting a budget. I am going to say we are trying to stay under $1,000. We will be making our own meals for most meal times and trying to pack a lunch for day trips or hiking trips. We do love zoos and museums, but this is really a nature trip we are looking for. We really are not thinking about seeing any "attractions" unless it's a nature site to see. I do understand national parks and forests can have fees and we are ok with that.

I am very interested in photo ops and seeing waterfalls. We are planning on doing some hiking. I heard there is some wonderful cheese in OR? We might like to do some shopping one day at local stores.

I am feeling like I need to plan our time out. We went to Estes Park a year and a half ago, but didn't really plan our time out we just were kind of winging it. It doesn't sound like that's really an option for us on this trip. We want to use our time wisely and see as much as possible, but not spend the whole time in the car.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 03:34