We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip to Reno, Nevada

Fontana, California
2 posts
Save Topic
road trip to Reno, Nevada

hi there! planning to drive to Reno and making a stopover at Stockton to visit friends. route is showing i-80 east which goes through the mountains. has anyone experienced this frwy route? seems treacherous so wanted alternate recommendations- thanks!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

I-80 over the Sierras is very scenic and no problem in summer, but it can be a big problem in winter.

Video (in summer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dldcom7qZKM

Video (in winter, first part of a longer program): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXZi7KOZV18

Edited: 08 June 2014, 10:09
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

ps Alternative routes include US50 via Lake Tahoe, or the Sonora Pass, or the Tioga Pass via Yosemite National Park. The last two are probably the most scenic options but they are definitely true mountain roads - fairly slow but not dangerous provided you're sensible.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

88 over Carson Pass is another option. Have no fear driving those roads in summer.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,366 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

Interstate 80 is the easiest of all those routes. Nothing treacherous about it other than other vehicles on the road.

Fontana, California
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

Thanks for the reponses, it's much appreciated!

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

Any US Interstate (a road with an “I” preceding the number) cannot be called treacherous… these are all divided multi lane roads, in most if not all cases with limited access… Speed limits will vary from 55mph (uncommon) to 70mph in California. Most of Donner Pass is marked for 65 mph (outside of the perpetual construction zones)

On your trip you will also cross the Tehachapi Mts, (including Tejon pass at a bit above 4,100 feet) on I-5, also a multi lane divided road… I think the grades on the north side of Tejon are steeper than the grades found on I-80 over Donner Pass… but again, neither is treacherous… (the north side of Tejon was once a very curvy 2 lane road with white wooden guard rails… the between the curves and the white wooden barricades that reminded people of the trellises used to support grapes that road was called the grape vine… when rebuilt and straightened in the late 1950’s it became the “ridge route”

To get from Stockton to Reno you have to cross the Sierra Nevada (mountains) which range up over 14,000 in elevation. The passes range from 5,200’ (Walker Pass on Hwy 178 between Bakersfield and Ridgecrest) to 9,943’ (Tioga Pass through Yosemite on Hwy 120)

Donner Pass on I-80 is just over 7,000’… I-80 is the only interstate crossing of the Sierra…

The other roads mentioned all have significant portions of 2 lane mountain roads… all are but Walker are higher…

Some of the other Hwys/passes are…. Echo summit 7,377’on Hwy 50 (hwy 50 is freeway like from Sacramento to just beyond Placerville, then 2 lane), Luther Pass 7,740’ on Hwy 89 connecting Hwy 88 and Hwy 50 at South Lake Tahoe – all 2 lane, Carson Pass on Hwy 88 at 8,652’ – all 2 lane, Sonora Pass 9,624’ on Hwy 12 – again 2 lane, closed during the winter is probably the most treacherous of the Sierra crossings…

The other obvious route from southern California to Reno is Hwy 395, which is generally a 4 lane road… It crosses significant passes at Sherwin Summit, 6,400+’ below Mammoth, Deadman summit over 8,000 feet north of Mammoth, Conway Summit 8,143’ between Mono Lake and Bridgeport, and finally Devil’s gate Pass near Topaz lake at about 7,500’

Any of these passes/summits can be difficult in winter with snow… Including Tejon Pass near LA.

Randy

7. Re: road trip to Reno, Nevada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 06:16