We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

America's 10 best state parks?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
America's 10 best state parks?

Included is Wings' fav, the Hocking Hills near Logan, Ohio.

And one of the parks listed is the question (like on Jeopardy) to this great trivia answer: <<Though technically not a state park, [it] is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous U.S., covering six million acres...—bigger than Yosemite, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Parks combined. >> Hint :-): It's located east of the Mississippi River.

http://www.fodors.com/news/photos/americas-10-best-state-parks#!1-intro

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Adirondack?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Great list!! Franconia Notch in the White Mts. is beautiful in the fall. Custer SP in SD is a great place to see wildlife and easy to access near Mt. Rushmore. The State Game Lodge there is very nice and has a delicious lunch buffet.

Adirondack???

Edited: 10 June 2014, 12:08
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Yes, Adirondack. RJR sings its praises, but warns about black flies in late spring/early summer.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Yes, it's beautiful! we stayed Lake Placid for a couple of days long ago. And no flies in september.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,607 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Fodor's needs to get out and about more.

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest is the largest publicly protected area in the lower 48 at over 6.3 million acres.

It is hard to believe that Big Sur (Julia Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park) or Humboldt Redwoods State Park couldn't make the list over Lime Kiln or Lake Itasca.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Tet, please go back but don't stay in Lake Placid for a true Adirondack experience.

A few candidates off the top of my head:

Robert Treman in Ithaca and Ricketts Glen in NE PA are on my list.

The state parks on the Oregon coast are stunning (especially those to the south).

I agree w/PB about Custer SP in SD.

Grayson Highlands SP in SW Virginia is beautiful and has a population of wild horses.

Dead Horse SP in Utah has memorable vistas.

Big Basin Redwoods SP near Santa Cruz for its big trees and serene setting.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,222 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

I forgot to add Point Lobos SP just south of Carmel, CA to the list.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

Another gem in your state RJR. Yes we drove all through Adirondacs at leisurely pace and on the way to Niagara Falls we didnot take the highways but drove along Lake Ontario from north of Rochester. A very scenic drive with some excellent stateparks.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,648 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

well-- in fairness, Hocking Hills is within half an hour of my house, so.... been there the most often :)

Also been to Palo Duro, Slide Rock and Custer. I have to say my favorite is Custer of the 4 I've been to. I kept thinking "this needs to be a national park!" when I was there. Of course-- the Needles highway and Iron Mtn road needs to be included in park :)

I need to get the rest of those parks on my travel list. Thanks for the link TE!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,113 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: America's 10 best state parks?

>>Fodor's needs to get out and about more.<<

I agree. This seems like a list compiled by somebody sitting at a desk in some big urban city, looking up stuff on google ;-)