We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

Exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

Hi folks, I know Im early but just returned from honeymoon and need to now plan the next holiday to give me something to look forward to. I am planning on visiting the East coast! I have friends living in Boston, NJ and NY and hope to go spend a few days with each of them and do a bit of sightseeing. I have been to Philly, NJ, NY and DC before but new hubbie as never visited the states. We will have about 17/18 days and I would really appropriate suggestions on what order you think we should visit cities. We plan to get between cities by train.

Day 1-3: I had originally thought, fly into Boston - stay with friends for 3 nights and see around Boston (have never been so do not really know what the sights here are)

Day 4-5 Train to philly, see the sights rocky, liberty bell etc and get a cheese steak :-)

Day 6-9- train to NJ/NY - my friends in NJ live 30 min from NY - stay 3/4 nights here - this will be more just a visit and catch up - maybe go to atlantic city and jersey shore but they will drive us!

Day 9-12 stay with our friend in NY - see the sights

Day 13-15 train to Washington and spend a few days seeing the sights (i know I could spend days and days here but budget wont allow it so it will just be the main sights to see)

Fly home from Washington

So that leaves a few days spare - any suggestions what to do with them - am I doing states in correct order? thanks for advice :-)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

HI

Congrats. What time of year are you coming? This is the Road Trips forum but I don't see any roadtrips in this thread. Do you want to rent a car for the days from DC and back?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

You can get around vis bus/train between the cities.

In terms of order---look at the air fares and see what is cheaper. For example you could fly into NYC train down to DC then do a one way rental to Bosotn driving through Amish Country, Poconos MTs, Catskills, then to boston where you return the car and then spend a few days in Boston careless before you fly home.

You could also reverse this...fly into DC train to NYC, rent a car drive to Niagara Falls and the finger lakes then drive to Boston.

In terms of amlunt of time needed....3 days for DC, 2 for PHil, 4 for NYC, 3 for Boston

Exeter
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

Tet14 I would be coming late May/ early June. What constitutes as a road trip with you? A road trip for me is a journey made by car, bus etc, and if you look up the dictionary I am pretty sure that this supports my understanding. Therefore travelling between a few different cities by car or bus and stopping to view what these cities and their surrounding areas have to offer is surely a road trip. I am open to suggestions on what your definition of a road trip is and will post my questions in a more appropriate forum if necessary.

Dan P that is very helpful - thank you. I had been thinking of the order in the wrong way and what you are suggesting makes much more sense and includes only one rental!! It is also helpful to have some suggestions on what to do in surrounding areas of the main cities! Thanks

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

Train to NY, Train to Philly and train to DC....

5. Re: Road Trip/ city breaks 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16