We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

San Francisco...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

Your city boy, born and raised, is moving to Boston again ! That's right, I'm a huge fan of weather. You know what I'm talking about, the four seasons, which does not exist in the San Francisco Bay Area. The first time I moved to Boston I left San Francisco and took HWY 80 most of the trip, with stops in Chicago etc. I'm thinking of taking the southern route this time. New Orleans sounds like a plan to me...but in August ?? Would you do it ? What is a relatively straight-forward way to Boston while taking the southern route, any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks TripAdvisor friends. Oh BTW, I have a small dog, 14 lbs. if that changes anything.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

Is your car newish with air-conditioning... If so, the heat you may encounter is not an issue anymore.

Your dog is small and there are an increasing number of pet friendly places...

Going via New Orleans is the tong way, but it this is more than just getting east go for it...

You can drop down to Bakersfield, acrross on Hwy 58 via Mohave to pick up I-40 in Barstow. By the time you hit Kingman you have a bit of elevation so its not as hot, and it is more scenic than I-10... From Barstow on I-40 is roughly Rt 66, so you have lots of reasons to get off the Interstate and explore...

Leave I-40 at Amarillo and head south to New Orleans...

From New Orleans North you could head up to Memphis, then I40 and I 81, alternately take I-10 to the coast and drive up I-95

Via New Orleans and Memphis its about 4,000 miles... At 400 miles a day its 10 days with some time to explore... add a couple days at NO and possibly somewhere else and it looks like a 2 week driver.

Randy

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

sare to be different---another route is US 50/I-70,

San Francisco...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

Thanks fellow TripAdvisor friend. I will def. use your suggestions. I wish I could do the "extra" trip to Memphis but I do have a time schedule, but damn does that sound fabulous ! I'm leaving August 23 and need to be in Boston no later than 1, September. Hmmm, it could be doable.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

I'd also do as Dan P says. The drive on us50 through NV and western Ut along Great Basin NP is scenic and fast and I70 through Utah and Colorado prob is the most scenic interstate in the country and you can get off the highway a little by visiting Moab for Canyonlands and Arches and to Rocky Mountains NP near Denver. You can follow I70 to KC and St. Louis or take I80.

5. Re: Driving from San Francisco to Boston the end of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17