We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

Scarborough
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

Hey,

I've had some good advice on here before so I'm back for more. I've done 4 road trips to the USA now and had some fantastic experiences but there's one place left that I want to visit - Yellowstone.

I've got 2 weeks holiday from work in September and am planning to fly to Vegas on August 31st, hire a 4WD for the duration of the trip and fly out of Vegas back to the UK on September 13th. I'm 35, will be travelling on my own, and am more interested in hiking and seeing natural sights than big city lights. I've done the Vegas thing before so that's not something I want to include in this trip.

My plan at the moment is:

31/8 - arrive in Vegas then drive to Hurricane UT to spend the night.

1/9 - Drive to Capitol Reef NP, stay the night.

2/9 - Drive via Goblin Valley to Moab, stay for 2 nights.

4/9 - Drive from Moab (I know it will be a long day) to Jackson, WY

From here I'm unsure how to split my time between Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. I've currently got 3 days in each park pencilled in, intending to stay in Jackson as a base for GTNP for 4 nights then move on to the West Yellowstone area as a base for 4 nights. After that I'd like to drive down to Ely, NV for an overnight stay before driving back to Vegas via Rachel (yes I'm one of those!).

I should add that I've visited Capitol Reef and Moab on a previous trip but these are the 2 places I want to see a little more of. I've done the Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon thing a few times now, so I'm happy to miss them out this time.

I'd really appreciate any input on how to split my time between GTNP and Yellowstone, even better if you have any recommendations on inexpensive places to stay (ideally sub £100 per night).

Cheers, Paul.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
813 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

We did a roadtrip that included Yellowstone and the Tetons last year. Not a lot of activity in our group due to medical issues. However I would concentrate more of your stay towards Yellowstone rather than the Tetons. A lot more to see. In the Tetons I would definitely do the hike around Jenny Lake or the boat over and hike back. You will need a lot more time in Yellowstone than you think. Have fun!!!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

If you are renting a high clearance 4 wheel drive I would add some time in Capitol Reef to explore the 4 wheel drive areas. Same with Canyonlands. There are a few areas you need a 4 whell drive vehicle.

In early September the old faithful to west thumb road will be closed to repair one of the bridges thus you will have to loop around lake yellowstone to canyon to Norris to get to old faithful.

In early September lodgining coasts in Jackson should be cheaper. For yellowstone for cheaper lodging you will have to look outside the park in Gardiner and West Yellowstone

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

You know you are arriving in the Labor Day weekend so make sure you'll have a reservation although I don't think Hurricane will be sold out.

Moab to Jackson really is a long drive for one day.

Goblin Valley is nice but have you also been to Little Wild Horse Canyon? Roads are al paved.

Personally I'd spens longer in Yellowstone rather than GTNP but I'm not a hiker.

Yellowstone to Ely also is a full day of driving and remember from Ely to Warm Springs and via ET hw to Ash Springs is 200+ miles and there are NO PUMPS on the way.

Tet

Scarborough
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

Thanks, I hadn't thought to check for road closures within the parks.

I've not been to Little Wild Worse Canyon, nor had I heard about it but it's on my list now, it looks like a great place to stop and explore, thanks very much for that Tet. I may try to cut the Moab - Jackson drive into 2 days, maybe stop for the night somewhere like Rock Springs, that way it will give me a little time to see some of the Flaming Gorge area that I've not visited before. I'm happy to have a long day driving on the way back to Ely if it means I get extra time in Yellowstone. Think I'll alter the plan and give myself maybe two days for GTNP and spend the other four in Yellowstone. Thanks all for the replies.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

Between Moab and Jackson you can stop in Vernal (and spend the night) and visit Dinosaur Quarry. Also lodging in Flaming Gorge. Rock Springs isn't very attractive imo.

6. Re: USA - 2 Weeks, Vegas - Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:17