We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

A friend and I, both in our sixties want to do a road trip from Carthage MO to PCH the second week of September. We want to travel the southern route to CA and return the Northern route. Our interests are mainly scenery, historical sights and local art. We prefer to be as budget minded as possible. I like camping, she does not. We like to travel off the beaten path but realize that on a trip this long we will need to do some interstate travel at points during this trip. We are both fairly familiar about the southern route. But would like some input from residents of AZ, NM,NV and CA. Hoping someone from along the northern route can help us out also, UT, WY,SD. Of course we don't have adequate time to really see what we want but we have maybe 10 or 11 days. Any advice?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

Hi

You are going on a 5000 miles roundtrip (Ohio-Los Angeles-San Francisco-Ohio) in 10-11 days. You'll only be on the road and sticking to the interstates and the coast hw between LA and Sf means already some 85 hours of driving if you are lucky. There's no way doing this travelling "off the beaten pass" imo.

The northern route won't get you to NM, Az because you'll be driving I80/I70 then.

Tet

Missouri
Level Contributor
148 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

We are traveling from Southwest Missouri.The southern route along I-40 would take us through New Mexico and Arizona.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

Sorry Tet mus have hit his head...or given the time of where he is he must have enjoied happy hour.....he is usually much better than that.... :)

How much time for this trip are you budgeting? Without stops it will be about 3 days driving to LA and about 4 days drive from SF. The PCzH would need 3 days at least.

If you time this right you could hit fall colors in aspen, vail, Breckonridge around 9/25-27

Drive to LA....following I-40 you would stop by Santa Fe, the parks and monuments along I-40 to grand canyon, then old route 66 then to Laa.

Back from SF drive through Tioga Pass in Yosemite then take US50 over Nevada stopping by great basin then hit I-70. From her you could venture off and see Bryce and Capitol reef, or Moab, or in Colorado seeing aspen, and rocky mountain or take a southern route following US 50 across or going to mesa Verde the Durango, then take US 160 across.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 19:42
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

Tet may have substituted Ohio for Missouri but the facts are the same . . . far too many miles for only 10-11 days if you actually want to stop along the way!

Dan P, last line of OP:

>>Of course we don't have adequate time to really see what we want but we have maybe 10 or 11 days.<<

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

It really is a lot of driving for 10-11 days. I get 27 hours to LA alone, and that's without stops.

LA to SF is a long day of driving.

Try plotting it on Mapquest to get a better idea.

If you still plan to go,

Amarillo- Cadillac Ranch

Many little stops on the old Route 66-like Holbrook (Wigwam Motel)

At Flagstaff you could head south to Sedona and then take I17 to I10to CA.

(I don't know if you will have time for this stop!)

Try to get more time if you want to cover this distance.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

Yes, sorry I misread but my advice still stands and the timing and miles were from MO.

7. Re: Southwest Missouri to Pacific Coast Highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:17