We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountains and Rental Cars

CHICAGO
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mountains and Rental Cars

On June 4-8,2014 I was in Charleston, WVa and rented a mid-size car from Hertz. I am a longterm client, gold level. I have always had excellent experience with their vehicles. this time they gave me a Chevrolet Spark. The car was sufficient for my needs. However, my family lives on the top of a mountain. This car quit - engine running - but would not move at one quarter of the way climbing the mountain.

Ultimately, rolling backwards, and starting slowly, with full speed acceleration we were able to make the climb.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountains and Rental Cars

It has only 84 horsepower...that's not a lot more than a golf cart. It's hard to believe Hertz would consider that a mid-sized car. Enterprise has it down as a Class A: mini, a car class *below* economy, and four car classes down from intermediate/mid-sized.

FWIW, I just checked and some suggest Hertz has the Spark tagged as B, which would be Compact. It's sure not mid-sized!

Edited: 20 June 2014, 03:18
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountains and Rental Cars

Isn't that an economy class? I don't touch those. With compacts I'm fine for routine driving but if I'm doing high grad climbs I don't rent those.

Another issue with economy...they have problems running AC and acceleration/driving fast.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountains and Rental Cars

lol Yes it's not called the Mountain State for nothing....

4. Re: Mountains and Rental Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 06:16