We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

Later this year we will drive from Jackson WY to Springville UT for an overnight stop en route to Bryce Canyon.

I'm not in any rush to get to Springville so I wondered if this route would be OK -

Jackson to Hoback on the 26

Hoback to Afton on 89

Afton to Evanston on 89 & 30 passing Bear Lake (also UT16??)

Evanston to Coalville then Heber City on 189

Heber City to Springville on 189 & 89

It looks to be just under 300 miles. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

As a possible option, going via the Teton Pass, Victor and Swan Valley would IMHO be even more scenic than US26 but it would add about 35 miles to the distance. The Teton Pass is no problem in good weather but you might want to avoid it if there's any ice or snow about.

Afton is IMHO a very nice little town in Star Valley which is a farming and ranching area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Valley

Sorry, I can't comment on the route you suggest after Bear Lake as we went via Logan into SLC.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

The route you suggest is the fastest route and is suitably scenic. Do note that while that route does pass near Bear Lake, you're not close enough to see it unless you detour a bit. Also note that while the map shows your departure point from I-80 as US189, it will actually be marked US40 at that point, so don't be confused. Also, as you noted, the route number changes a lot between Jackson and Evanston. But it's a really simple drive.

If you don't have anything particular set in Springville, I might suggest Park City as a more interesting overnight stop. An evening on Park City's historic Main Street would be a memorable part of your trip. It would then be about four hours from Park City to Bryce.

Have fun.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

First and foremost thanks for your replies & suggestions.

My reasoning for staying in Springville is that I wanted to have most of the mileage between Jackson & Bryce over in the first day and Springville was simply a "functional" overnight stop (the Best Western).

I had looked at Park City previously but although it does indeed look a nice place, Springville is another 50 miles further on. Park City main street looks super, there is a Hampton Inn there reasonably priced.

MapQuest suggests that Springville to Bryce is just under 4 hours so perhaps Park City to Bryce would take perhaps another hour longer.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

US89 and UT30 run alongside Bear Lake, as this StreetView shot shows http://goo.gl/JJMHNv

However, US30 is well to the east of the lake.

It's one of those rare cases where it's important to distinguish between a US highway and a state highway.

5. Re: Jackson, WY to Springville, UT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:25