We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next trip... Glacier

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Next trip... Glacier

San Francisco area… solo to Lava Beds, camping, then north over three days roughly along Hwy 395 to Spokane… picking up the wife there…

Then on to Glacier NP… Kalispell, East Glacier, Prince of Wales, Many Glacier, West Glacier...

(reservations for all in place)

then Red Lodge before driving the Bear Tooth Hwy… through Yellowstone (4th visit in 10 years… just a drive through this time) to Jackson…

From Jackson, to Ely Nevada, then home via Hwy 6 and Tuolumne Pass…

Anything I need to know about on the road....

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Next trip... Glacier

Just that there are no pumps between Ely and Tonopah for 160 miles....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next trip... Glacier

When are you doing this trip!! Now or later in the year. Always check road conditions on the Beartooth Hwy. We were there on September 1 a few years ago and encountered snow and ice, etc. They closed the road that day and the next day.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next trip... Glacier

Peach, The trip is mid July...I understand the snow issues... I was snowed on in mid July(very light) about 10 years ago... and in a mid May blizzard driving from Cody to Yellowstone 5 years ago... I carry chains and have 4 wheel drive and appropriate tires.... Its a bit of overkill but I leave them in the Jeep year round....

And Tet... its 168 miles without gas from Ely to Tonopah... and the last couple miles are uphill so you can't coast in... : )

Randy

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next trip... Glacier

But all of us6 to Warm Sprngs is down hill....Ghosttown of Warm Springs. 3 houses and barbed wire Also a sign for"No pumps for 110 miles (towards Ash Springs via ET highway) Us6 runs through lave fields at Lunar Crater. Also an unpaved side road for best views. Foreland Refining Company, Black rock pass. More's Station and Jays Mountain Station on the way.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
22,128 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next trip... Glacier

Sounds like a good trip plan, to me. I'd suggest Whitefish over Kalispell everytime, just because it's a nicer town, but Kalispell has far more motels, etc. While in that area, do check out the Flathead Valley area, especially around Swan Lake. It's much overlooked because of Glacier, but much quieter, and the hiking is pretty similar. Why Prince of Wales when you have EG and Many Glacier? We love Many Glacier - both the general area and the lodge!

Have a great trip,

SWT

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Next trip... Glacier

This is the first trip there for both of us, so we are trying all the hotels... My wife has torn up her knees so hiking is limited... She tore one on the Inca trail... the other just went... cause unidentified...

I tried to have a bunch of very short driving days... we have one long one from Lake McDonald to Red Lodge... about 470 miles... and a couple of 500 mile days from Jackson to Ely and home. We do up to 950 miles when motivated, so even the long days on this trip are not too bad...

Randy

7. Re: Next trip... Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:17