We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip Grand Canyon

Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
road trip Grand Canyon

Hi, my husband and I are traveling in USA in early November. We have 1 week between a visit to Las Vegas, and a booking in Daytona. We are expecting a flight to Daytona, but not sure yet where from. probably Las Vegas.. We are thinking of hiring a car and driving ex Las Vegas ? We have a few things on our want to see list - Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, Arches and Bryce. That looks like a circle back to Las Vegas. Can anyone advise as to "doability" of this trip? We don't mind driving long distances, as we are Australian rural residents, but don't know how weather and road conditions may impact on practicality of this trip. Will accommodation be any sort of problem?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Welcome to the forum

With one week you can do Las vegas-Zion-Bryce-Page-Monument Valley and Grand Canyon and drive back to Las Vegas or fligh from Phoenix. Mesa verde will take to much time with the detour and Arches/Canyonlands near Moab will be out of reach imo. For a leisurely trip you'll need 2 nights Zion, 1 night Bryce, 1-2 nights Page and 1-2 nights Grand Canyon.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

If you go to the Utah state forum, look at the top right Top Questions section, "How to see the Parks of Utah" There are sample loops out of Las Vegas, both long and short depending on how much time you have, with maps, milege, etc. One example...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k43263…

Also read Ohio Hicks sticky at the top of the same forums page about Travelling the Grand Circle. Lots of info on what to see, how long to stay...

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,028 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

I will add that OhioHick's article is excellent and have used each time we are planning trips to the SW.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,309 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Hi.

Having once done all that (and a bit more) in a week my advice would be don't!

Tets suggestion will allow you to at least experience some of the locations, rather than just take a quick or drive by look and a few photos. The distance is not the factor, it's the time in location and what kind of experience you want that really counts.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,057 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

A fee things....

in early november you are talking about seeing winter weather where its cold.

Mesa Verde is pointless to visit in November. The tours are done.for the season

nps.gov/meve/…guided_activities.htm

For one week you probably need to limit yourself to Bryce, Zion, Page, and South Rim and maybe Monument Valley

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Not sure about flights to Daytona from the West but there's a major airport in Orlando

Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Thanks. It is hard to plan when we have absolutely no idea what we are likely to encounter. Disappointing about Mesa Verde, I may be getting too old to return. Bucket List is already overflowing. Great advice.

Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Thanks for excellent information. What does imo mean??

Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Thanks. Orlando works.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip Grand Canyon

Imo means In My Openion.

If you want to see ancient Native America sides check out Wupatki and Walnut Canyon more or less on your way Without a detour you ca see Tusayan ruins entering Grand Canyon NP from the east. before that is Cameron Trading post with great native American items.