We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ottawa to Florida

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ottawa to Florida

Hi I'm (40) considering a 2 to 3 week road trip with my 7yr old in August 2014. Most of the forum posts relate to snowbirds driving down for the winter. That's not us.

Ottawa to Florida

We hope to take in the following:

Beaches

Disney World

Universal Studios

Gator land

Kennedy Space Station

I'd like to drive for 5 to 8hrs (max)/day. With some scenic short stops and avoid major cities rush hour of course.

We'll be driving a small car so it's good on gas and will stay in cheaper motels until we hit Orlando.

I've never been up the east coast so I'd like to take a different route on the way back.

Any suggestions? Or tips to keep costs down?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ottawa to Florida

How many days for this vacation. Its important.

How many days in Orlando?

Ottawa to Orlando is a 22 hr drive at least---looking at 3 days driving each way. 6 days so far. How much time in Orlando/Daytona?? Say 7---you are at 2 weeks now.

Thus you dont have much left to explore along your drive.

this is why knowing how many days you really have is impportant

day 1 drive to around Harrisburg, PA along I-81

day 2 drive to SC---I-81 to US 17 to I-95 (bypass DC)

day 3-4 explore Myrtle beach-Charleston-Savannah area

day 5 drive down to Daytoma

8 days in Orlando/central FL area

drive back:

Day 1: different way through central FL and GA to August to Chalotte--about 9 hrs

Day 2 drive Charlotte through west Virginia to Pittsburgh to Erie , PA--8 hrs

Day 3 Erie to Niagara Falls to Ottawa

Here you could add a day to see Niagara Falls and add a day in the drive stopping and seeing some other place in the larger cities or in the mountians of WV.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ottawa to Florida

My post says 2 to 3 weeks. :-)

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ottawa to Florida

thank you for the suggestions. We've been to Niagara Falls so I'd prefer to spend more time in the US.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ottawa to Florida

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ottawa to Florida

2 to 3 weeks isnt clear....

2 weeks means you are driving each way 3 long days strait interstate and no stops other than to eat, sleep, and bathroom then spend 8 days in Orlando and surrounding areea

3 weeks means you have more time to stop and smell the roses along your drive down and back.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ottawa to Florida

It meant that I'm flexible with my time....if there are things worth seeing with a 7yr old. If all we do is orlando and typical disney/universal then 2 weeks would be plenty. 3 days there, 8 days in florida and 3 days back. But if people could recommend worthwhile sights to break up the there and back then our trip gets extended to 3 weeks.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ottawa to Florida

Don't know what your child is into. The larger cities like Charlotte, pittsburgh will have some kid friendly places like museums and zoos.

Myrtle beach-charleston-savannah also has kid friendly stuuff.

If you are willing to drive through Baltimore they have one of the best aquariums in the country . Atlanta and Chattanooga have decent ones.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ottawa to Florida

I`ll just talk about your first couple of days. Pine Grove, PA (exit 100 on I-81) is probably as far as you want to go on your first day. It`ll take close to 8 hours with normal rest stops. There is an Econolodge, Comfort Inn and Hampton Inn, some fast food eateries and a kind of cool old-fashioned diner at the exit. I have stayed at both the Econolodge and Comfort Inn, both acceptable accommodation, the latter has a pool. (Note: pick up one of the motel discount coupon books at the New York State tourist office just after you have crossed the 1000 Islands bridge. Also a good place to let the child run around a bit. All 3 of the hotels will be in the book.) I recommend the diner.

Harrisburg would be too far, in my opinion. It`s a confusing place to drive through at the best of times, late afternoon rush hour would be murder. My GPS has misled me every time I have passed through.

South Carolina is too far to go for the 2nd day. I would aim for Raleigh, NC, another roughly 8 hr day with normal rest stops. The Oak View historical country park near Raleigh would be a nice break for the child, either that afternoon or the next morning.

9. Re: Ottawa to Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 01:15