We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

My husband and I are renting a place in Tucson for a couple months, and I need some ideas of best routes and places to stay along the way. We'll have our 2 dogs with us, so I like the idea of staying in state campgrounds (and rent a yurt) along our journey. we also want to travel along the coast for as long as possible. I could really use some suggestions on routes to take. We've never done anything like this before. We hope to be in Tucson mid-November. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Caroline

WA state

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

You understand rainy season likely started so the coast of orego and northern California will be wrt and likely very stormy. Strong winds of 50 mph or more likely if a storm is coming in.

The coast south of SF will be better and less likely of ran but it's still possible.

If you drive I-5 and a storm comes in snow is likely at the OR/CA border when you go through the mountains.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

How long exactly do you have between Tacoma and Tucson? And if you want to travel along the coast do you want to do this all the way to San Diego? How about adding places like Yosemte, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Cayon and Sedona?

Tet

Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

Wow! Terrific forum here! Thank you. We don't have any timeline. And we've never been to those places mentioned. Still... Traveling with our dogs isn't the easiest with all the leashed walks ( and waiting, waiting) needed. I'm thinking around 7 days would be good - if that's doable.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

7 days will be short. Even omitting the Wa and Or coasts it app takes 2 days to drive to San Francisco. One full day for SF is short so is a day for the coastal drive to Cambria. Already 4 days. Then it's 7 hours from Cambria to Las Vegas and 5 hours to Grand Canyon NP from Las Vegas followed by a 6 hours drive to Tucson. Don't think you'll have the time for the coastal drives in Oregon and Northern Ca.

Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

Perhaps we'll save the coastal drive for a time we can take our tt trailer, and do nothing else but that. So that leads us with just doing a straight shot to Tucson; with approx. 6 hour driving days. Suggestions?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

We routinely drive Seattle/Tucson (Green Valley, just south of Tucson). It requires at least two nights, i.e., 3 days. November is a tricky weather month, you'll need to keep tuned into weather as you travel. Dial 511 anytime for weather reports. We have favorite scenic routes, but only when the better weather is more certain.

If you have not been here before, look into Things to Do, both for the Tucson and AZ, TA Forums. Spend your travel time from your base here, you'll find plenty to do.

Here's a map showing 3 options; we like the right hand two, but 89A, rather than 89) is our favorite (and 89 might still be closed near Page). I cannot write here how we feel about some of the California route, the gray line. :)

Again, the weather at that time of year must be considered in choosing a route.

https://goo.gl/maps/k90n3

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

There still is a lot to see on the way if you take an inland route, Great Basin NP to name one and if you take I15, Bryce, Zion and Page are more or less on the way. And so is GC. A week will be great for a trip like that

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

Oh, I absolutely agree with Tet. I was focused on your comment about a straight shot. The S. Utah parks are unique and well worth a visit, you could spend two weeks there in season when all are open. The North Rim of GCNP will be closed, I believe (check the website).

www.utah.com/nationalparks/grandcircle.htm

http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/

OhioHick: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

Edited: 11 July 2014, 23:12
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

Here's a route to consider, given Tet's comments. We've done it, great sights, with Tet's help several years ago., but we did the entire Grand Circle, website provided in my earlier post. And have returned several times.

Note that I kept 89 A (Vermilion Cliffs, Marble Canyon) and added Sedona.

https://goo.gl/maps/7tzr3

If you have not been I 84 in NE Oregon, lovely drive, over Deadman Pass, but don't let that throw you. :)

Washington
Level Contributor
450 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WA > Tucson in Nov. w/dogs. Stay @ campground yurts? Sugg.?

You're all a tremendous help. We're also heading to Green Valley. A week sounds great, so we'll head out the second week of November. We'll just save the coast for another time. I'll print out all your suggestions, routes.... and review them slowly. Once the route is determined, then it will be all about the dogs, and making sure we find places that make overnight stays easier on them, which makes it much easier on me. My husband has walking/balance issues, so I'm the driver, dog walker/pooper... pretty much the trip planner. His job is to keep me on course. Keeping this as easy as possible is what I'm aiming for.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Caroline