We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

Claremont...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

Hello!

My brother (24) and I (20) are driving his car back from the University of Florida in Gainesville back home to Los Angeles at the end of July. We drove his car out there two years ago down through AZ/Texas/NOLA, so this time we're going the Northern route!

It's a short trip, 7 days, because we're busy kids. All hotels are booked, but I was wondering if there were any suggestions of things we HAVE to see or do along the way/on our stops, as we'll squeeze in interesting things when we can. We LOVE kitchy/goofy, as well as scenic or historical (our fav stops the last trip were the Grand Canyon, Roswell NM, and a Swamp tour...we're definitely going to stop for the biggest ball of twine in KS!), and especially love trying local good eats!!

Our stops are:

Gainesville FL -> Chattanooga TN -> St. Louis -> Kansas City -> Denver -> Moab UT (Arches NP) -> Las Vegas -> LA

I'd love to hear any/everything! Thanks!!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

If you only have 7 days I would try to speed up the trip so you have more time in Moab.

Day 1 Gainesville to Nashville

Day 2 Nashville to Kansas city

Day 3 Kansas city to Denver

Day 4 Denver to Moab...late afternoon/ evening Moab

Day 5 Moab

Day 6 Moab to Bryce through Torrey

Day 7 Bryce to LA

Alternate

Day 5 Moab for most of day then drive to hanksville, ut or Torrey, ut

Day 6 UT 12 AM, stop a few hrs at Bryce, then leave around 5pm and get to Vegas around 8pm

Day 7 Vegas to LA

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

See "Truckhenge" in Topeka. To find things to see use http://www.roadsideamerica.com

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

Wizard of Oz museum near Wamego. To visit Largest Ball of Twine will get you out of the way but I understand the attraction for places like that. Not far away at Lebanon is the Geografic Center of the conterminous USA. In Goodland you'll find the largest easel in the world (Van Gogh...)

On the way to Moab leave I70 at "Danish Flat" exit and stop at Cisco. The old pst office is the place were parts of Thelma and Louis were filmed and there Dewey bridge on the way to Moab over Colorado River.

Tet

4. Re: Florida -> St. Louis -> Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:16