We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England Fall Road Trip

Gig Harbor...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New England Fall Road Trip

Hello. Planning 5th wedding anniversary trip (we are both early 60's) and will fly out from Seattle, departing mid-September. Would like to see Washington DC and then do a New England road trip for fall colors and tourist/historical sights. Budget is fairly limited so would appreciate any ideas as to where might be the best place to fly into and a possible route allowing us to see the most in our limited time. Neither of us has ever been to this part of the country (one of us has been to Washington DC once) so we really don't have a clue as to how to make a plan. Thanks for suggestions and ideas.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

For fall colors new England turns around Columbus day weekend. The Canadian order and higher elevations turn earlier in late September.

How many das are you planning for this?

How do you want to get to Boston..fly train?

What sort f budget do you have? You may not be able to d both locations.

You need 3 days for DC, 1 day to travel up to Boston then 4-5 days to drive around and look at leaves.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

Hi

I'd say mid September would be too early for the fall colors of New England, or anywhere on the East Coast. However, are you aware that you can get fall colors in mountains much nearer to Washington, DC? Of course, this would be different to New England, but I'm just offering up an alternative idea.

I'm no expert on domestic USA flights, I just know what I need to know for my own trips. Washington DC is served by 3 different airports, IAD, DCA and BWI to give you choices to shop around.

Once you are on the east coast, if you are set on getting from DC area up to New England, then there are buses that serve that east coast corridor which are cheaper than Amtrak, but you'd need to change buses in NYC would be my assumption. Bolt and Megabus certainly serve that area and would get you as far north as Boston. Then you can do a loop car rental to avoid any one way drop fees.

As you are interested in history, the area around DC would have more to offer, especially civil war history. We did a loop around the early in April this year and found it all absolutely fascinating.

As Dan asks, how long do you have for this trip? If you are set on fall colors, can you change your dates? Do know that lodging in the New England mountains at peak leaf turn time will be expensive.

SWT

3. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 12:22
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

This may help in planning

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7202205…

Gig Harbor...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

Thanks to each of you for responding to my questions. We will be taking all your great information and suggestions into account as we get this trip planned. I had never done something like this before, so it was quite a pleasant surprise to hear from all of you. I am so appreciative of the time you each took to help this "novice" traveler make good choices for this trip. Hoping for wonderful travel adventures for each of you!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

We've offered you some opinions and suggestions, but this is your topic. You can treat it as a conversation, just keep asking questions as you do research or think of anything, and you should get responses. You've had lots of ideas already, some contradictory, others complementary to another person's views.

We can share more advice and help you build more detail into your plan, but you need to answer some of the basic questions already asked, and explain some of your thinking, too.

If you want pointers of where to look to do some of your own research and ponder a bit more, we can do that, but we need input from you. Meanwhile, we are grateful you have appreciated the comments passed to you so far.

SWT

7. Re: New England Fall Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:16