We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Hello, We are going to take a road trip from TO to Grand Canyon. Reservation is made at Maswik Lodge for the night at Grand Canyon.

Here is the plan : Leaving TO on Wednesday around 4pm , crossing the boarder in Sarnia , passing Chicago ,St. Louise, Oklahoma city, and entering Grand Canyon from Flagstaff.

Plan to arrive at the destination by Saturday pm. See sunrise/sunset and heading home with the intention to arrive by Wednesday.

I know it is a lot of driving but this is what we want and like to do , planning on driving 10-12 hours a day ( on a full driving days)

Questions :

1. Cheap and safe hotels on the way

2. Cool places to see on the way

3. Good places to eat on the way

4. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Why....

32 hr drive in 3 days...you are looking at 11 hrs a day for 3 days then add time for stops for gas an meals. You will have no time to stop and see anything else.

All for about what 8 hrs seeing the grand canyon. This is 6 days driving for one day seeing.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,834 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

As for driving route....

WeD night look around Lansing, MI

THU look at driving to Lincoln, NE or grand island, NE

Friday look at Moab, UT or Monticello, UT

Saturday drive to grand canyon

Sunday you stay till later in the day then drive to Holbrook, AZ

Monday to Oklahoma city

Tuesday Indianapolis

Wednesday to home

Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

thank you! "why" is a very valid question - I like travel and my husband hates flying and loves driving. So this is our compromise ;)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

When I did my road trip from Ottawa to the Grand Canyon, I did not do 10-12 hour days (I limited myself to 700 to 750 km per day, and even then had very little time to sightsee on the way). And obviously did not stay in the same places you are going to.

But, in terms of finding safe and cheap motels, pick one of the chains, join their frequent traveller program, and stay at their properties. I chose the Wyndham group (Super 8, Travelodge, Howard Johnston, Days Inn) but could just as easily chosen Choice (Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Econolodge, Rodeway). These motels tend to cluster close together around Interstate interchanges) and attract oodles of casual dining restaurants to set up nearby. So you`ll find Dennys and Perkins and Outbacks and Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel and others whose names I can`t remember. Not fine dining, but then you don`t have time for that. And I presume if you are looking for cheap hotels, you are not looking for expensive fine dining.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Much of your drive is along R66 www.historic66.com

Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

thank you

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

I like Dan's suggestion-out one way and back another. Between Moab and GC stop at Monument Valley for views from visitor center.

Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Thank you!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

Go for it. don't let people talk you out of it. Went for the first time Last year and it was amazing sight to see

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to Grand Canyon road trip

This thread is from 2014 and the OP prob already will be back.