We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Libertow
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Hi,

I'm looking for proposals as to possible USA road trips, to follow up our 2013 'Roadtrip of a lifetime', which took me and my family to Vegas, Monument Valley, Lake Powell / Page, Zion, Bryce, Death Valley, Yosemite, Monterey and San Francisco over 3 weeks. The national parks and deserts in particular were out of this world.

We're now looking ahead to next year and we're keen to do another road trip, but I'm not sure if we will ever be able to top or even match that experience. Hence my request for help . . .

We (family of 4 with kids 12,10) will be travelling in July again, for 3 weeks, but definitely need to leave the last week for a relaxing time at a beach. Our priority is to see amazing places, we can withstand travelling distances no problem, but do want to have time to enjoy the destinations, rather than rush through them ticking a box. Comfort is important, budget is not a limitation. So 2 weeks of (intense) travelling, then a week to chill.

Options for us are another West Coast road trip but not repeating the above or maybe the Southern states - maybe focused on Florida / Louisiana - but we're really open for new ideas. We're in New York this Christmas, so have no real pull to the West coast road trip options this time.

All suggestions welcome and/or useful links to inspire me would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Hi.

The beach time has me thinking of loops on the east coast. Beach time in the West is really going to mean southern CA, but the inland areas will be a bit more of the same maybe and blisteringly hot in July.

So, out of DC, with the Blue Ridge mountains and the Carolinas, Outer Banks, back to DC.

Out of Charlotte or Atlanta, with the Smokies, and Georgia, Carolinas coastline.

An extended Florida loop, either up the East coast a bit (Savannah and Charleston ) or along the Gulf Coast as you suggest.

All of those sit in Hurricane Season during July, but that's a risk many many people take without an issue, they will all be hot and humid too.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

I'm just throwing out some ideas here:

Denver > Rocky Mountain National Park > Grand Teton > Yellowstone > Glacier > Denver (plus whatever else takes your fancy in that vast area).

Seattle > Canadian Rockies including the Icefields Parkway > Glacier > Sawtooth Mountains (Idaho) > Mount Rainier > Seattle (maybe include Vancouver Island, or the Oregon Coast).

Salt Lake City or Denver > Moab (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point) > Monument Valley > Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Durango-Silverton Railroad, San Juan Skyway > SLC or Denver (could fly in or of Las Vegas if you wanted to see Zion and Bryce Canyon again).

Washington DC > Shenandoah > Blue Ridge Parkway > Great Smoky Mountains > Nashville > Natchez Trace Parkway > Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Dallas or Houston.

BTW have you discovered this channel on YouTube with videos for each of the US national parks?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist…

Edited: 23 July 2014, 19:43
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

It will be difficult to top your 2013 trip but what I would consider is a road trip focusing on North/South Dakota and Wyoming taking in the Badlands in Dakota and Yellowstone/Grand Teton in Wyoming with a chance to visit some other sites such as Mount Rushmore, Little Bighorn.

I'd then fly to a coastal resort for your week on the beach - Florida or Carolinas would work with the latter being a bit better weather wise.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 19:49
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

For 3 weeks ....

option 1:

day 1 Fly into Seattle or Portland

day 2 drive to Glacier

day 3-6 Glacier

day 7 to Yellowstone

day 8-10 Yellowstone

day 11 Yellowstone AM/ Grand Teton PM

day 12 Grand Teton AM, PM drive to boise

day 13 drive to Portland through Columbia Gorge

day 14 Portland

day 15 Cannon Beach/seaside

day 16 St helens

day 17 Mt Rainier

day 18-19 Seattle

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Depends what kind of beach the OP is looking for!?

Tom's idea is good if your willing to take a flight, as are some of the others, but not much sand castle time in Wyoming.............and they'd get blow over on Cannon Beach!

But all those are fantastic road trips : ).

Edited: 23 July 2014, 20:53
Libertow
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Great options so far from all, thanks.

Regarding beach preferences, we need somewhere warm, relaxing, and don't need any additional attractions in that last week. At the end of the last road trip we spent a few lovely days in Monterey, but it wasn't warm enough to sunbath / recharge our batteries. Am open to flying somewhere where we know the temperatures will be high enough to simply relax in the sun. After 2 weeks travelling, we'll need it. Ideally the beach resort should be relatively close to a major airport for our flight back to Europe.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

We did three weeks road trip last year; Seattle and thenout to Glacier Park / Forks, long trip out to Billings and then a few days in Yellowstone followed by a trip to Yosemite and a drive through central California before heading back up to Sonoma and back to San Francisco.

2500 miles over fourteen days or so.

Doesn't really hit the beaches you want though.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Well, that's saying Florida Gulf coast to me, more sheltered than the Atlantic Coast often and easy direct flights from Tampa, Orlando or Miami, and charters to/from Sanford in the Summer, all an easy drive from the coast.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 21:14
Libertow
Level Contributor
33 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

So, 3 strongest options so far, I think, are:

1) 'North West': Yellowstone / Grand Teton etc - either out of Seattle / Glacier or out of Denver - am thinking Denver better for us, then maybe we could see the Rocky Mountains, and maybe even stretch to Arches. We loved Utah on the last road trip, as its a complete contrast to anything we've seen before.

Anyway, then we'd have to fly somewhere for a week to a beach - maybe Florida.

2) 'West Coast II' i.e. closer to road trip 1 from 2013: Salt Lake City / Denver > Moab (Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point) > Monument Valley > Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Durango-Silverton Railroad, San Juan Skyway > Las Vegas to see Zion and Bryce Canyon again. Again, we'd have to find a beach option somewhere else.

3) Atlanta / maybe also Houston (/Dallas?) > New Orleans > Florida, flying out of Orlando - this allows us to have the beach option on-site (i.e. without the need for an additional flight) and I would love to see the other side of Florida, not just WDW, but is this a strong enough option versus the above 2 road trips?

loving your input, giving me plenty of food for thought . . .

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USA roadtrip inspiration sought

Fly to Jackson, WY. Spend a couple of weeks on a loop through Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton, Ketchum/Sun Valley, Craters of the Moon. Fly to LA or San Diego for beach time.