We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

So we're doing a road trip from Vegas to Lake Powell, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and San Fran in August, and have decided to put that really long 700 miles drive into one day.

Has anyone done this before (with just one driver), or anyone have any tips?

Good places to stop for breaks, which route to take and also where to stop and get 'groceries' before getting to Yosemite would all be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,873 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

I personally wouldn't do it but that's my travel style - this seems to be the shortest/quickest route.

You'll miss Death Valley but you don't have time to see it and avoiding it is probably a good idea in August.

My sympathies rest with that sole driver.

http://goo.gl/maps/VrGQk

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Hi.

My considered advice would be to do an undecide and see if you can at least find an overnight to put into it.

I've done single day drives like that ( usually positioning drives with lots of interstate ) with next to no sightseeing on route, and as a couple we have been stupid enough to do it with ( 14 to 16 hour days) that's one route of a few (given what is along it to see) I would not consider.

Why don't you post your whole intineary and we can see if there is any flexibility or suggestions to get a stop in there. Even one night around Pahrump or in DV itself would at least allow some sightseeing on route.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Fastest route in not via DV but via Kingman, Barstow and Bakersfield. Will be a very hot and long drive. Suggest to spend the night before Yosemite in Oakhurst if you can make it that far. You can buy those groceries in Oakhurst.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Thanks for the advice guys. This is our itinerary.

Day 1&2 Vegas

Day 3 Lake Powell

Day 4 & 5 Grand Canyon

Day 6 Long drive from GC to Yosemite

Day 7 & 8 Yosemite

Day 9 - 13 San Francisco

Day 14 - 15 Napa Valley

Edited: 26 July 2014, 14:49
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,324 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

No lodging reservation yet for Day 6? Where are you staying in Yosemite for Days 7 & 8?

My suggestion is not to try to get all the way to Yosemite in one day. Take the longer but more scenic route via Death Valley (7 hrs from the South Rim) and enjoy some of the fabulous views in Death Valley NP in the late afternoon. Exit DVNP and continue to Lone Pine or Bishop or even Mammoth Lakes (if you're road warriors) for the night.

On Day 7, drive up the eastern Sierra and into Yosemite's Tioga Pass Entrance. Savor Tuolumne Meadows, one of the best parts of Yosemite NP in August. Then on to your reserved lodging.

Description of some of the drive: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361

===

If you prefer the faster route, maybe stop in Fresno or Oakhurst for Night 6 and go to Mariposa Grove first thing on Day 7. That's still a very long drive.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Hi.

Any particular reason why you are spending two nights in GCNP? Obviously, your missing out Zion and Bryce anyway, assuming your taking the northern route to Page and Lake Powell from LV? Many people just spend a night there, a sunset and sunrise and that is enough.

You could also drop a night in SF ( don't call it San Fran or worse, Frisco, or you'll annoy the natives!).

I'd have a night less in both GCNP and SF and go Vegas to Zion first day, to Page for Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend, next , then GCNP, put in the long day to DV, then up the USA 395 and into Yosrmite via Tioga Road. Don't really need two nights in Napa Valley if you allocated two?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Think it also will be easier to go to Napa Valley first and to SF after that. Suppose you fligh out of SF.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

It is not a long drive, it is well beyond a long drive it is 12-13 hours when you stop for gas and bathroom breaks. No freaking way would I do it.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

Hi

Please tell us what flexibiity you have in your schedule, or are all your nights confirmed and prepaid?

From the current schedule, I'd say you could drop a night at Grand Canyon and still see a lot of that park. I also agree that you should do Napa before SF rather than after, and you can then dump the rental car to save money.

Just so you understand why we are so unhappy with your desire to drive from GC to Yosemite in one stretch: Most if not all of us regular road trippers, whether it's our preferred travel style or not, have done those long day drives to reposition ourselves to a different area for sightseeing, just biting the bullet and driving from an early start with breakfast lunch and even dinner on the road to break it up and give the driver a break. However, this day's drive between GC and Yosemite as well as being really long is really scenic. We all feel it would be a huge shame to have to dash past so many wonderful stops as well as it not necessarily being much fun for the sole driver.

And, as per PNWF's comment, what's the difference between night 6 and 7/8? If you do go the fastest route, then Oakhurst has some decent supermarkets with good choice at reasonable prices, and is also a good place to gas up before heading into the park.

SWT

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Grand Canyon to Yosemite.. in one day

We are doing SF first and ditching the car there- we intend to get the ferry to Napa and use bicycles there.

The hotels are already booked, but could be changed.

Night 6 we also have booked for Yosemite, but yes SWT I do see what you mean about missing very scenic stops, and we would like to see Death Valley and drive the Tioga pass and meadows!

If we did stick to the long haul journey, what are recommendations about how often to stop, and what time to start travelling?

On google maps i searched the route at about 7.30am UK time today and it said 12 hours, at 13.30 only 9.5 hours and at 18.30 11 hours!

Em