We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

Guys,

Me and my wife are planning on a road trip in Alberta this August. I've prepared an itinerary but there are good chances that it is pretty ambitious at the moment.

Just to give you a background, we are just the 2 of us travelling in a compact. We are not travelling with camping gear and intend to stay in B&Bs over the marked places. We are okay with short hikes but not into something very strenuous.

So here's the plan -

1. Base at Calgary: Leave early morning at around 6am for the Dinosaur Provincial Park. At 9:30am do the guided badlands hike; Leave from the park at about 3 pm and drive through the Dinosaur trail from Drumheller (North & South approx. 70Km), covering the horsethief canyon and orkney hills; Reach Calgary by 8pm

2. Leave Calgary by about 8:30am for Canmore - check-in at Canmore; Cover Tunnel Mountain Road, Sulphur Mountain and Cave & Basin site; Spend evening in Banff; Drive back to Canmore in the night

3. Leave Canmore at about 8:30am - Cover Lake Minnewanka, Johnston Canyon, Moraine Lake and Lake Louise; Check-in to Jasper by evening

4. From Jasper - cover Maligne Lake, Medicine Lake, Mount Edith Cavell and Miette Hot Springs; Return to Jasper by evening

5. Leave Jasper - Drive to Athabasca Glacier and do the Snocoach ride; Drive through Icefields Parkway to Bow Lake & Falls; Reach Calgary by evening

What I want to know is of this plan is too strenuous and if I should include a day more into this. If yes - where?

Please feel free to give any other opinions also if you feel there are some possible flaws above.

Cheers

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

I'd give the Icefields Parkway two whole days all to itself (in addition to a separate day for Lake Louise etc at the southern end and another separate day for Maligne Lake etc at the northern end). There is so much to see on the Parkway that it would IMHO be a tragedy to rush it. From Saskatchewan River Crossing (very roughly half way) you can take the David Thompson Highway east in the direction of Red Deer for overnight lodging at Rocky Mountain House, then head back to the Parkway the next morning.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

hi

you will get a lot more comments if you post this on the Canadian Rockies forum.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

Thanks for the inputs John.

Am now spending 3 nights each in Banff and Jasper, post which i will spend one night in Rocky Mountain House/ Sundre. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

hi

you do not want to spend 1 night in Rocky Mountain House or Sundre unless you would be camping.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

Hi cbaarch,

In fact I was advised to have a look at the Sasketchwaan River crossing and take a drive by the river.

I thought I could take do that drive on the last night, stay over at RMH/ Sundre and then leave for Calgary next morning, from where I hv a flight bk. Any thoughts?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

if you want to go that route look at getting a hotel in Red Deer instead of going south to Sundre. it will also be much faster to get to Calgary the next day.

7. Re: Alberta Road Trip (Badlands-Banff-Jasper)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16