We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

4 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

I am moving to Jacksonville, FL next month and am driving there. I definitely want to get an adventure out of it. I have only traveled via airplane, so, a road trip is a first. Does anyone know what are some great places to stop and see in a 5-6 day time frame? I would like to see the Grand Canyon, just don't know if that would deviate my travel too much. Plus, I would love to see New Orleans. Please Help!

Thank you.

1st time roadie

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

The obvious route is I-10 all the way, about 2400 miles, so over six days about 400 miles per day which won't leave much time for sightseeing. New Orleans would then only be a minor diversion in terms of mileage.

Diverting via the Grand Canyon (south rim) is possible, and would add about another 130 miles to the journey but then make New Orleans a little more awkward. Including both the Grand Canyon and New Orleans would give you a total mileage of about 2600 miles.

You don't necessarily have to stop overnight in big cities. Any medium sized town on an interstate will almost always have "gas, food and lodging" either around one of its exits or on a road from an exit into the town centre.

It might be worth having a play around in Google Maps (or one of the other online map systems) experimenting with overnight stops separated at sensible daily driving distances. You can search areas in Google Maps for motels, either generically or by brand name.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,069 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

Grand Canyon, Albuquerque, Carlsbad Caverns, San Antonio, New Orleans, coast of MS and AL are all possibilities along your route.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

You can drive between LA and GC in one day (8-9 hours drive) but you'll need a reservation for an overnight stay www.grandcanyonlodges.com Sunset and sunrise are highlights at the rim. That leaves you with app 2100 miles to Jacksonville and that can be done in 4 days plus one day for Nola.

4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

Carlsbad caverns, never heard of it. Will google. Thanks!

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

Thanks, I will google map for guidance.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

I will look into the GC site, thanks. I appreciate the comments. :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

> Carlsbad Caverns, never heard of it.

Fair enough, no shame in that. Here's some links to information about it:

Google Maps (also shows Guadalupe Mountains National Park which is in the same general area; zoom out to see where it is) http://goo.gl/FN2ndU

National Park Service http://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm

Wikipedia …wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlsbad_Caverns_Nationa…

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxOy-6BWrs

Edited: 31 July 2014, 08:57
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

If you want to see places like Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands etc etc you'll need more time so mayby try to extend your trip.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

Fastest way GC - NO is Albuquerque, Amarillo, Dallas, NO. Overnights at GC, Albuquerque and near DFW gets you to NO on the 4th day. NO - Jacksonville is one day drive. For shorter drive days stay in Wichita Falls and Baton Rouge then into NO in the a.m. when fresh.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip: Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Fl

I agree with Texhills about the route. I've driven Jax to Idaho via Grand Canyon a couple of times and this is my preferred route as well rather than I10 for the drive. I10 would be your choice from NO or so east. I also agree with staying in Wichita Falls and Baton Rouge. If you are short of time you can do a drive by of NO and head for Jax.

If you can stretch it to 6 days that would be great. I found both Albuquerque and Santa Fe more interesting than Carlsbad, but I'm not a cave/bat person. Definitely try to do that overnight at Grand Canyon.

Have you taken a look at www.googlemaps.com? That can help you plot out your route.

Pam

Edited: 31 July 2014, 14:06