We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice - West USA - 5 weeks - Start LA, finish LV

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
385 posts
682 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice - West USA - 5 weeks - Start LA, finish LV

Hi all,

my wife and I are doing a road trip beginning 30 Aug and finishing 4 Oct. We will be driving a rented Camper (converted van, seats table fold into bed; semi kitchen at rear; no toilet) which we pick up in Los Angeles and drop off in Las Vegas. We want to focus on the outdoor/National Parks as opposed to urban/city areas. As we are currently traveling our planning has been limited.

Could those with experience tell us if this very rough itinerary would be possible and comment on additions/subtractions please. Also, are the desert areas to hot for sleeping in at this time of year?

Leave LA and head for Palm Springs and Joshua Tree NP (could we sleep here in the park in the van);

JT to Sequoia/ Kings Canyon NP's

Seq to Death Valley (again too hot?)

DV to Yosemite (no we haven't reserved anything, but according to website appears to be first come/ first serve camp sites?)

Yosemite -? want to visit Redwoods - what do people recommend inbetween? Lake Tahoe?

Redwoods to Portland

Portland to ?? - on the way to Grand Tenton NP

Grand Tenton to Salt Lake City

SLC to Moab

In this area do Arches, Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon.

Really appreciate thoughts on if possible to do in 5 weeks. We may be doing a separate road trip from LV across USA east later so would spend more time doing urban stops.

Many thanks in advance

James

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,588 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice - West USA - 5 weeks - Start LA, finish LV

You arent doing Yellowstone???

If you are returning to Vegas you could do death valley then--it will be alittle cooler in early October than in early September.

8/30 fly in

8/31-9/1 LA

9/2 Joshua tree

9/3 Seqouia/Kings Canyon..night in Fresno

9/4-5 Yosemite

9/6 drive to Eureka--long day driving. Along route is Avenue of the Giants

9/7 Redwoods..night inCrescent city

9/8 Southern Oregon Coast to Bandon

9/9 drive to Portland, PM in Portland

9/10 Columbia Gorge then Boise

9/11 Boise to West Yellowstone

9/12-14 Yellowstone

9/15 Grand Teton

9/16-17 drive to Moab

9/17-18 Moab

9/19 Monument Valley

9/20-21 south Rim Grand canyon

9/22 Page

9/23 Bryce

9/24-25 Zion

9/26-27 Death Valley

9/28-29 Las Vegas

9/30 fly home

there are 4 day s you can add into here either add more time someplace or visit something else--some places you could add:

1 day Mesa Verde NP (in between Moab and Monument Valley)

2. Add a day doe SE Utah (Natural Bridges, Moki Dugway, Goosebecks)

3. add a day to explore Capitol Reef and UT 12 near Bryce

4. add 2 days for Sedona

5 add a day to see Canyon de Chelly after Monument Valley and before south Rim---as part of this route you could do Monument Valley then Canyon de Chelly/Petrified Forest on same day then next 2 days in Sedona, then to South Rim and then to Page

6. 2 days to visit SF

7 skip Joshua Tree and use the day to drive up the coast up to Monterey (2 days) then drive to Fresno and do SEKI then Yosemite.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
385 posts
682 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice - West USA - 5 weeks - Start LA, finish LV

hey Dan,

thanks for such a great response and for giving some extra ideas, we had left out Yellowstone primarily as we were concerned it would be too cold by the time we got there (and my wife hates the cold), do you think it would be ok? Also wasn't sure if it was too much further as a detour? We wont spend anytime in LA or SF as have been to them before so that should add some extra days and I think we might need them as my only other concern looking at your suggested itinerary is that it is moving almost everyday, which I assume is tiring and adds a lot to the miles (and therefore cost).

Appreciate all the help we can get

3. Re: Itinerary Advice - West USA - 5 weeks - Start LA, finish LV

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 05:17