We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Evanston, IL

2 posts
Save Topic
DC to Evanston, IL

My family is moving to Chicago at the end of this month. We are planning to drive our car and will be traveling with two small children (9 months and 3 years old). I'm looking for recommendations for the best route must include one "stretch your legs" stop per days and a place to stay overnight. Ideally we would like to complete the trip in two days but can add a third if necessary.

thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

I did this drive not too long ago over 1 1/2 days. A good route would be to take 495/I70 north to Breezewood, Pa, then take the Penn and Ohio Turnpikes west. A good stop off point might be the Kalahari Lodge in Sandusky Ohio, where they have an indoor waterpark There is also a big amusement park (Cedar Point)

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

If you take I-76 to I-80, Ohio Amish Country wouldn't be much of a detour. Very close to I-80 is Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which has no admission charge. Your kids would greatly enjoy the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo and Cleveland has other kid-friendly attractions, including the superb Cleveland Museum of Art, which has no admission charge.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s407/Cleveland…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Toledo also has a very good, but smaller zoo that is very convenient to I-80.

Another option is to take I-70 to I-65. Columbus also has a very good zoo. Young kids also reportedly are mesmerized by the big machines at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, which has free admission and an outdoor playground.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60785-c185858/Dayton…

The latter route would avoid tolls.

When you have an itinerary, post in the local destination forums for lodging suggestions.

Good planning!

Edited: 07 August 2014, 16:47
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

Also see Youngstown in the "Day Trips" travel article in post 2. Mill Creek Park there would offer another opportunity to stretch your legs.

If you take I-70, Zanesville would offer the Putnam Park Overlook scenic view of the famed Y bridge.

http://visitzanesville.com/Site/?page_id=397

Edited: 07 August 2014, 16:54
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

Off I-70, you also could visit the amazing Cabela's super store in Wheeling if you've never seen one. They are an experience and a regional destination.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

Thank you!

6. Re: DC to Evanston, IL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17