We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

seattle
Level Contributor
187 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

Hello,

Leaving in a week for a roadtrip by myself! I am so excited to see more of our beautiful country. I leave bozeman on Saturday morning early and want to get pretty far the first day. I'll go through gardiner and Yellowstone, but have been there dozens of times, so won't really stop much, same with GTNP. I would like to get south of Jackson, but think all the way to Rock Springs might be too far. I am looking for inexpensive lodging, and can't seem to find anything between Jackson and Rock Springs. Thoughts?

The next day I'm planning to continue on 191 south to Vernal, then 40 east to 13 south, through Grand Junction and then on to Montrose to stay.

Then from Montrose south on 550 through to Durango (although I admit to being a little nervous about driving he million dollar highway alone).

I'm definitely open to suggestions for the trip. Just need to be in Albuquerque by Tuesday evening.

Thanks for your ideas and help. Always seem to get great help on tripadvisor!

seattle
Level Contributor
187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

I think I found an acceptable place in Pinedale (although expensive). How does the rest of the trip look? Since I'm traveling solo, I'm especially thoughtful about beautifully scenic areas that are also safe and fairly well traveled.

Thanks.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

Hi

Yes all lodging around Jackson is expensive. You obviously want to take most scenic route but driving through Yellowstone can be timeconsuming in high season not to mention wildlife delays. This way Bozeman to Pinedale already can be a full day, like 8 hours.

Next day it won't be busy via Flaming Gorge, Vernal, Douglas pass rd and 50 to Montrose and prob lodging won't be a problem either but again this drive can take some 8 hours also.

I'm afraid Million $ rd also will be busy and slow but it's very scenic. Count on some 7 hours to drive to ABQ so instead some 18 hours fastest way you're now looking at some 23 hours most scenic way.

In my experience driving through Yell and GTNP always takes much longer than planned.

Tet

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

You can make Rock Springs if you go via West Yellowstone then stay outside the parks to Jackson. For scenery I would go via Glenwood Springs to Aspen. If lodging in Aspen is too pricey stay in GS. From Aspen take 82 over Independence Pass to Twin Lakes, 285S to 50W through Gunnison to Montrose. You could stay in Montrose but Telluride is a great place and is only 1.5-2 hours from Montrose (550s to 62 to 145). If you stay in Telluride, swing back up to 550 then south to Durango.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 12:27
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

Start the drive down the 191... then the 20 from W. Yellowstone to the I-15 As you should remember, the park(s) in high season will be one big "bear jam" or stuck behind a RV on endless two lane roads ... South of Provo, drive the 6, back to the 191 and overnight in Green River. There, make a decision to remain on the 191 to Moab-Monitcello- Cortes or Grand Junction-Durango. carracar

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
486 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

If you have never been on Douglas Pass..it is an awesome pass and very scenic..somewhat slow going ..but worth it.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,025 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

If you do opt to go thru Yellowstone be aware there is road work between Mammoth and Norris, so it may be faster to go south via Tower.

Pam

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

What s the purpose of this trip? What do you want to see?

At a rough estimate....it's 2 hrs from Bozeman to Yellowstone gate, 3 hrs through Yellowstone ( without stops factored in) then 2 hrs to Jackson, then 3 hrs to rock springs. 10 hrs drving.

You can drive and bypass the parks by drving toward idaho falls then south to driggs, iD, to Jackson, then to rock springs in about 7 hrs. Another route is o go to Cody then south to Riverton and then o rock Springs.

US 550 Ouray to Durango is fine.

seattle
Level Contributor
187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

Thank you all ! The purpose is to get to albuquerque in about 3-4 days and see beautiful peaceful scenery along with wildlife, small towns, bigger towns with nice shops and food (Jackson, telluride, sante fe). Im not in a huge hurry and don't mind driving long days, but want to be off the roads by dark. I'm a teacher so this is my last "hurrah" before heading back to class.

I really do want to see some of Yellowstone and grand Teton, but to avoid road construction and some of the crowd, I think I'll enter at West Yellowstone and then head down through Jackson. Don't mind a bear jam :). Stay in pinedale.

Next day stay on 191 and then to Douglass pass and down to Montrose. Telluride looks wonderful for a visit, but think it's out of my price range for an overnight.

Next day, visit telluride then south on 550 to Durango.

What's the most interesting route sante fe ? What's not to miss?

Thank you again SO much!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

You know Montrose to Telluride and back to 550 just driving already takes 2.5 hours? Actually we find Ouray equally scenic and right on the way. From Durango you can head south on 550 and visit interesting Aztec Ruins on the way. Fastest drive to Santa Fe will be via 550 again Slower via 2 lanes highway 64 and 84.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo road trip- Bozeman to Albuquerque next week.

Spend the night in Grand Junction ... Then from the 550, turn on the 141/145 ... A wonderfully scenic drive into Telluride for lunch ... Then, back down the 145 a bit,to the 62 & the 550 into Durango ... If a diversion to Chaco Canyon is not of interest ... Further down the utilitarian 550, turn on the, again scenic, 96 to the Chama Valley & approach Santa Fe from the North ... carracar