We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from NYC to San Fran

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Road trip from NYC to San Fran

I am planning a 11 days road trip with my bf to San Fran, leaving from New York, possibly in November.

Thinking to visit:

Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Arches/UT, Baltimore MD, Missouri, Denver, SF

do you think this is too over killed in 11 days?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well all roads in Yellowstone, other than the Mammoth to Cooke City road close by the 3rd November so I suggest you drop that for a start, if it's November.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

I take it this is a one way trip and your not suggesting a round trip in that timescale?

Edited: 11 August 2014, 18:21
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Why Baltimore? This makes this a 9-day trip west. It was very ambitious, mostly driving, with only 11 days.

Do you plan to drive straight through and skip all attractions east of South Dakota, such as Chicago?

Edited: 11 August 2014, 18:24
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

And it's definitely overkill if your driving to Utah and then back to Balimore, and then back to Denver!! ; ).

If it's a one way in that timescale, yes you could do it, Yellowstone apart, but it's going to be pacy.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

I assumed this was a one-way trip, but not a straight shot with Denver in the mix. Note that the mountain attractions in Colorado will be diminished in November, unless you plan some skiing.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Argh thank you for pointing that out - didnt know that the roads in Yellowstone are closed in November. In that case, we may look to travel in mid October instead, would you recommend going in October with two of the roads closed still?

Yes this will be a one way trip, will be flying back to NY from SF. Why Baltimore - just figured that car rental would be cheaper than renting all the way from NY to SF. Pittsburg would be another option - i guess looks more feasible than driving down to Baltimore?

We are not a big fan of skiing....so i guess October would be a better choice?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Hi again.

No, not really, as once you get past mid to late September the chance of weather disruption increases so the roads maybe be closed anyway when you get there, but it all depends on the Fall.

I'd suggest you look at the Park website and weather forecasts and make a decision as you travel, although Denver works best before Black Hills if your headed for Yellowstone, but after if your not.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 19:05
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Realistically in only 11 days you don't have time for Yellowstone.

2 nights on route to Black Hills, 1700 miles, just driving for three days.

2 nights Black Hills.

1 night Denver.

2 nights Moab for Arches.

1 night Ely or further west.

2 nights San Francisco, just one full day.

Are you really sure you want to do that!

Edited: 11 August 2014, 19:15
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,470 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

If you wanted a quick look at Yellowstone, weather permitting, then you need to drop Denver and Moab, with a night in Elko on route to SF.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 19:18
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

Would you take Megabus to Pittsburgh? If so, Cleveland would be more direct and closer to I-90. Enterprise will pick you up and take you to their rental office if the service is requested. However, check the hours that non-airport offices are open. Cleveland has rail mass transit service between downtown and its airport, if you want to rent a car from there. Airport rentals typically are more expensive due to aiport fees.

Reportedly, rentals are cheaper from Jersey City than NYC.

Lodging may be difficult at this late date in Yellowstone.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Road trip from NYC to San Fran

mid October is not better----I would push to late September.

In mid October you can easily see mountian snow in the mountains of Colorado and in Yellowstone and it can be colder (highs only 40)

the drive alone takes 5-6 days depending on the route. which leaves 5-6 days actually seeing stuff. Doing a zig=zag east west route will add even more time. You need to choose on doing I-90 and see Black hills and Yellowstone or doing I-70 and see Denver, Rocky Mountian NP and Moab then through Yosemite