We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journaling, live tracking on the road

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Journaling, live tracking on the road

Hello all,

One of my kids is heading off in September for an 8 week road trip across the US. He wants to be able to journal his days and upload photos for a closed group of people to see. We currently have a closed family group on FB which would work for this side of things, but additionally he wants to have live tracking. A few years ago he visited the UK and as part of the deal with his local SIM there, we were able to track him every half an hour or so. Through the wonders of modern technology, using Google Maps street view, we could see the actual spot on Hadrian's Wall/ street corner in London/ fish and chip shop in Berwick that he had been a very short time previously. We all had a ball.

Does anyone know of a product that offers the capacity to journal and live track in the US?

Many thanks, as always.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Sasanqua,

Perhaps post here among the gearheads:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Will we at least get a trip report out of your son? Is he driving or on a tour? If the former, where is he going?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

TE,

Thanks, I'll do that.

He is visiting relatives in Michigan, then flying to Boston, driving from there to New Orleans, then flying to Phoenix and driving to San Francisco via Yosemite. An awful lot of research has gone into it, and they have a very eclectic itinerary - hopefully he will write something on his return.

Thanks again.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,251 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Google used to have a really cool app that did that. For some reason, it was discontinued. We used it a lot. However, there are many other alternatives. A smartphone is required. But just go do the Android or iPhone stores and search for 'GPS tracker' and you'll find plenty of options. Let us know in the Travel Gadgets forum how this worked out. I actually need to find a new one myself but just haven't taken the time to do it since Google discontinued its product a few years ago.

If you have an iPhone, the Find My Phone feature in iCloud essentially does the same thing. And do make sure you have an economical data plan as all of these features do require ongoing data exchanges which eats up data allocation.

Have fun.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 17:51
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Hi sansaqua

My your kids get around! You seem to be always helping out their trips, as well as planning your own!

Given how young folk are surgically attached to their smartphones, I'd say you'd need to research a good airtime deal first, and one that includes for international calls/texts, etc.

SWT

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Hello again SWT,

I get to live vicariously; it's so far from here to anywhere and my aversion to long flights grows, so it suits me very well. He has planned this one all by his lonesome - partly based on the trips we have done there over the last few years AND some of your contributions to this forum, so take a bow!!!! In fact the kids all use TA, even though they comment (diplomatically, bien sur) that it is generally aimed at a different age bracket.

Happily, we rarely have to pay for international communication - facetime, skype, it's amazing what's available for nix.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Sasanqua, your son might pick up something from this thread, especially post 13.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k7300690…

If he posted his itinerary here, with his interests, he might be surprised about our ability to make age-appropriate recommendations. We were all kids at one time!

Tell him to check out the New River Gorge in WV for whitewater rafting, ziplines, and base jumping. There are some good threads here that can be found using the search engine at the top of the forum.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,109 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

Well, we're big fans of Skype, and that's free. We use that all the time. We don't 'do' FB and other similar things, so don't really find the need to be virtually connected to anybody all the time.

An aversion to long flights is certainly a problem for you, not sure I can offer any bright ideas on that one beyond tempting you with great places to visit! ;-)

SWT

8. Re: Journaling, live tracking on the road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17