We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding Ticket in France

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Topic
Speeding Ticket in France

My husband, daughter and I rented a car from Hertz in Antibes and drove up to Paris over a span of a few days. Somewhere in the vicinity of Lyon, we were apparently speeding. The only reason I know this is because I got something in the mail from Hertz about a month after I got home from my wonderful vacation about how my husband evidently went 142 in a 130 at 15h18 on the A6. Avis charged me some money to give my info to France, and France has sent me this ticket that I can't really read! Do I really have to pay this? How about I just cancel the credit card I used to pay my rental car with? They have my address, but will they come and get me? Or will I get nabbed at the border the next time I try to enter the country? I guess I did sign something that said all this was OK with me, but how "toothy" are the rules? Thanks for any advice anyone can give!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

Hi.

I don't know the answer, maybe those on the France forum might have seen it before. I guess if you don't pay Avis might bill you anyway, even if you cancel the card as you can still be liable for charges you have authorised once the account is closed with many credit card agreements.

Have you asked Avis what will happen if you just ignore it?

Anyway, I can leave you with a little song, sorry it could not resist, do with apologies to Sir Tom Jones;

♪♪I saw the flash in the night as that we passed by the gantry

I saw it clearly in the mirror as I glanced behind

It was a camera

And now a bill from Avis drives me out of my mind

My, my, my, Delilah

Why, why, why, Delilah

So before Hubby next puts his foot to the floor

Forgive me Mr Gendarme, I promise I won't speed anymore♪♪

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

Lol, Valiant. Been taking lessons from another DE on another forum, perhaps, or is this what happens to you when MrsValiant is away for too long?!

To deliliah - whoever took responsibility for the rental car and signed the contract at the rental desk when you picked up the keys would have signed an agreement accepting responsibility for speeding violations during the rental period.

Whether the ticket comes directly from the French government depart responsible for this, or via the rental company with their fee for doing this, it's ultimately your responsibility.

If you cancel your CC and ignore the ticket, whether it will come back to bite you, I cannot say as I've never done this. I visit France far too often, and in our own cars, to contemplate ever taking such risks. If you never visit France again, I guess you may be OK, but I don't know if France has an arrangement with the US's DOT. They do with UK's DVLA (not that they use this too often, it seems).

SWT

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,768 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

Sorry, meant to comment: You refer to both Hertz and Avis. Have I missed something? Were there 2 different rentals, or a typo?

SWT

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

I'm so captivated by your creative expression that I've momentarily forgotten about my dilemma. Many thanks to you!

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

Typo, sorry. Just one company - Avis.

Thank you for your advice - I should probably just pay it and get on with my life I guess.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 21:51
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,238 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

We deal with this quite a bit in our company. It's to your benefit to simply pay it. Yah, it sucks. But you're going to pay in the end so you might as well pay now and not face an additional surcharge from the credit card company. Canceling the credit card won't work. Fortunately in America photo radar isn't as prevalent, but it's a way of life in Europe.

Sorry you got caught.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
15,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

you can look at this thread if you want to see how well it is discussed on the France forum. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k659024…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

>> I should probably just pay it and get on with my life I guess.<<

Yep.

>>Or will I get nabbed at the border the next time I try to enter the country?<<

I honestly have no idea, but you know the world turns on computers and many of them that you wouldn't think 'talk' to each other - do indeed talk to each other. It's really kind of spooky, but that's the day and age we live in.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,282 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

Hi again. Glad you liked it ; ).

I think that's the sensible decision, and so a reworking of the original last line is appropriate

♪♪So before they come to breakdown the door

Pay up Delilah and then you won't fret anymore

Pay up Delilah and then you won't fret anymoooooooooore♪♪

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speeding Ticket in France

We had this the other way around. Form Europe and got tickets in Australia and the USA. Never payed them and returned many time. Not saying this is the best solution.