We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to bring my money?

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to bring my money?

On a 3 week road trip and looking to bring around $5000

I guess the options are Cash, prepaid card or travellers cheques

Would like to know other peoples thoughts :)

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to bring my money?

I would be more than happy to take care of your money - shipping and handling :)

travelers checkes have died a slow paunful death.

I do not know what banks you have options at home that have the cheapest ways of getting cash via ATMs over here.

You will need a credit card for hotel stays. You could cash out your stay but the credit card is still used as a security measure by the hotel.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to bring my money?

Travelers checks are still accepted most places ... Pre paid plastic has made them less useful ... carracar

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to bring my money?

It is best to use ATMs for cash and charge lodging and sometimes food. It is not advisable to carry large amounts of cash.

Travelers' checks are not widely used and are not accepted at some places. Be sure to advise your credit card company of your travel plans.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to bring my money?

Check how much cash is covered by your travel insurance. I've found travellers checks very difficult to cash. Find out charges for using your normal debit / credit cards in USA, if these are excessive look for special deals such as Post Office or Nationwide Cards or a pre-paid MasterCard.

Most transactions can be done by card, there is little need for a huge amount of cash.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to bring my money?

Halifax do a card called "clarity" which does not charge for cash withdrawals and gives the actual exchange rate.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to bring my money?

We have mot used travellers cheques from 1996....

7. Re: How to bring my money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:17