We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe Rock band road trip

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Europe Rock band road trip

My son's band will be touring Europe in 24 venues and 11 countries over 24 days in November and December 2014 and I'd like to follow them for a few days. This means travelling to a different city every day and I thought driving a campervan might be the best way. They are travelling by Nightliner but there's no room for me with 3 bands aboard.

The cities I'd like to join them starts in Milan, then Bologna, then Worblaufen in Ittigen, Switzerland, Nurnberg, Vienna, Budapest and Prague. Google maps show the driving between cities varies between 2 to 5 hours. Can I trust that? Will there be weather issues driving in Europe in December?

Suggestions on this site say renting campervans are best from Germany so I thought maybe starting and finishing in Munich is pretty central. Can anyone suggest a good rental company? I know staying 1 night in each city will not be the best tourist experience but that's not the point with this trip.

Any other suggestions would be good.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe Rock band road trip

hi

have a look at the ZTL for Italy to start with italybeyondtheobvious.com/dont-mess-with-ztl…

how much winter driving experience do you have? and driving on the wrong side of the road?

there will be very few if any sites to park the RV in the winter which would be my first reason to drop the RV idea not counting the difficulty of getting around in the cities.

if you still want to drive make sure that the rental car has proper winter rated tires which you will not get on an RV unless you are ready to spend a few euros.

the drop off fee would also be a real deal breaker for me.

Have a look at trains to see if that works out better with the cities mentioned. all the info on trains at www.seat61.com

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe Rock band road trip

Thanks for the tips. I liked the idea of being able to drive around and not have to find accommodation but had not realised some of the barriers. I have not driven outside Australia and you're right, would be too hard. At least with rail I can arrive in Milan and leave from Prague.

With rail travel is it necessary to book each leg in advance? Are some overnight trips?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe Rock band road trip

hi

if you look at www.seat61.com it will give you all the details of which rail network you need to use.

if you do not find what you need on his site he does answer emails and sometimes shows up on TA.

basically get train tickets when they go on sale usually 90 days before departure. the price goes up closer to the date.

Edited: 05 September 2014, 20:54
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe Rock band road trip

Hi

I have to agree with that schedule and the cities listed, self driving in any type of vehicle will not really meet your needs at all, and even less likely in winter.

The website linked above is great for train travel advice. Most of the best value tickets go on sale around 90 days before date of travel, and always use the website of the country you travel in or start in. For more train travel info, and for local info on getting around those cities, please post further questions on the local destination forums and/or the train travel forum.

Sounds like a fun trip, following the bands! Enjoy!

SWT

Edited: 06 September 2014, 17:44
5. Re: Europe Rock band road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 05:16