We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone Camping?

Cape Town Central...
11 posts
Save Topic
Anyone Camping?

Hey was just wondering if anyone is planning on camping instead of finding accomodation at guesthouses and what not. I know there are quite a few camp sites/caravan parks around S.A. but I have not been able to get a reference book from any bookstore here. Does anyone know any good camp sites in Bloemfontein, Joburg, Rustenberg, Pretoria, and Durban? Nearish is fine as well as I have my own transportation.

A secure and safe piece of grass is all I need :)

Thanks!

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone Camping?

I am a huge camping enthusiast, but not even me like will easily camp in winter in the interior of the country. Temperatures might fall below zero in many places.

But if you really want to camp, try some of the following camp sites below, which you will have to google yourself. (But consider taking a small heater to heat your tent. My wife insist on taking one when we camp in the Kruger park in winter.)

1. Bloemfontein:

1.1.River of Joy camping ground 30km outside Bloemfontein

1.2 Maselspoort, 20km from Bloem

2. Rustenburg:

2.1 Rustenburg kloof

2.2 ATKV Buffelspoort (4 star camping ground if I am not mistaken) some 40km outside Rustenburg

2.3 Bakgatla

3.Johannesburg

3.1. Johannesburg: Protea hotel Suikerbosrand hotel and camping grounds, about 30km from Johannesburg. Three star

3.2 Johannesburg: Malonjeni guest farm. Good, but not as good as the previous

4. Pretoria

4.1. Pretoria: Monateng (Very highly recommended! 4 star camping ground

4.2 Ngonyama camping ground in Krugersdorp game reserve

4.3, Hennops Pride

4.4 Nkwe (very close to Pretoria city centre)

5. Durban

5.1. Corian's Pennington

5.2. Mac Nicol's baizley beach

5.3 ATKV Natalia (very popular)

5.4 Hibberdene carvan park

5.5 Dolphin caravan park in the upmarket area of Ballito, about 50km north of Durban. I recommend this one.

For more info check out www.campsa.co.za

Enjoy!

Edited: 17 May 2010, 17:55
Cape Town Central...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone Camping?

This is awesome thanks ill look these up!!

I realize its going to be cold, but im not too worried about it, my sleeping bag is a good one - comfortable range down to -5 With warm clothes on i think i should be okay. But I might try and see if I can get a small heater as well!

Thanks again!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone Camping?

www.sa-venues.com/caravan_parks_camping.htm This link may help you get perspective. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Liverpool
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone Camping?

It's gonna be very cold for camping. I don't think many will be camping in the winter. You may be better off with hostels or something if u can find them. I found roomsforafrica.com very useful for cheapish places. You might be pretty lonely camping I wouldn't fancy it!

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone Camping?

camping in Durban will be fine, try Salt Rock caravan and camping (although will probably be booked up). www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

London, England
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone Camping?

I might end up doing some camping during the knockout stages, I have nothing booked yet as I don't know where we'll be. If you've ever been camping in England in the winter (and some summers!) South Africa will be positively tropical.

I think it's only on the higher ground in the north where it's going to get cold at night, the coastal venues should be fine, although Cape Town will be in it's rainy season.

Edited: 26 May 2010, 07:01
7. Re: Anyone Camping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions