We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank you SA

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
69 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Thank you SA

It was a trip that tooks months of planning and just two weeks before I left, I was suddenly inundated by people who taught I was crazy to go to SA with my family and to drive along the Garden Route. From reports in the media to some people who went - they thought I was nuts to drive and I was even asked to check out bodyguards.

However, I stuck to my plans as I had done all my groundwork and went through tripadvisor forum , blogs etc and decided to go with my original plan.

The result a wonderful trip and the nicest, friendliest people that made the trip so special The family had such a wonderful trip. Anyway, we drove all the way to Addo and stop over Mossel Bay, stayed in a lovely B&B Whale Pin and then went for an overnight at Schotia Safaris.the night safari and the bon fire and its Orlando rooms ( we can hear lions roaring from our rooms )was an experience the whole family will never forget.

On the way back, we stopped over at Jeffrey Bay and then a farm stay at Wildebram berry farm. My son loved the stay at Wildebram the best as the view from the cottage overlooking the mountains and valley was so beautiful. There was a pond , with horses and dog and a lovely fireside. It was like a postcard....

We ended our trip back in Cape town with the Portugal Vs Spain match. We didnt have to worry about traffic because Cape Town had it all so well planned. We expected traffic to be bad driving into the city on matchday but there was hardly traffic as we drove all the way into City Lodge. We walked with all the fans on the fan walk which was such a fantastic experience and walked back, We couldnt sleep after all the excitement and had a nightcap at the hotel.

The next day we spent shopping for vuvuzelas and souvenirs at Century City. ( the roads are so great and signages just fantastic)

The last night was just perfect with a sunset cruise from Victoria Waterfront and just when I thought I wont see any whales , a whale surfaced the last five minutes just as we were about to dock.

I just want to say Thank you SA for hosting the WC and for having all us noisy tourists. I want to thank that concierge at Holiday Inn Express who so wonderfully took care of my husband and son when we first arrived , Edward our ranger at Schotia. Joy and Louise from Whale Pin, Sharon from AI kynaston and all the destination experts esp Van De Caap and all the rest who had responded to all my queries ....

durban
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thank you SA

Thank you for being a pioneer and for being brave enough to come and make this WC great!. www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Rustenburg, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thank you SA

Thanks, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And you only saw a small bit of this beautiful country.

Seems we still have a lot to do before people see this as a safe destination. It is already a great destination!

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
186 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thank you SA

I'm so glad you had a great holiday.....it's about time that people stopped seeing SA as a war zone.

Thanks for braving it!

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
410 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thank you SA

We had the same experience -- I did all the planning for our family of 4, and we were here for a month. Stayed in guesthouses the entire time, no hotels at all. We drove from Johannesburg to Kruger, White River, Blyde River Canyon, Hartbeespoort, Rustenburg, down through Bloemfontein to Karoo National Park and Cape Town. Even though we did not make it to Durban or Garden Route, we feel very lucky to have experinced so much of your country.

Such a diverse land, but all the people we talked to were very friendly and helpful. Seemed they were very eager to speak with us about our experiences. And yes, I received many questions from friends and family before we left, again suggesting bodyguards and even pepper spray. But I think it was the same as if we were driving in Europe - when you get off the main road, you just need to keep your wits about you in any city.

We would most definitely consider a trip back.

Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thank you SA

I'm definitely coming back

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thank you SA

Me and my mates are definitely coming back too. Loved Umhlanga where we stayed, love everything about Durban and the surrounds. Love the girls at Suncoast who we took out and showed us around Durban.

Loved Cape Town and especially Marvel nightclub in Long Street. Loved all the people everywhere in South Africa eager to make their nation great.

As for the media, I would love to know what the agenda is against South Africa as a whole.

7. Re: Thank you SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 05:18