We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nation Houses

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Nation Houses

The surprise I received in Salt Lake City was being introduced to "German House" (otherwise a warehouse on the edge of downtown Salt Lake City) and "Norway House" (the Park City library), while being shut out of "Holland House" (a country club near the Utah Olympic Oval) due to a private function. Nationals mingle with guests, food and beer are imported from the home country (in Utah, the beer had to get diplomatic immunity to be transported into 3.2 land), sometimes bands are playing... this was truly the kind of fun I was looking for in Atlanta and never found. (I don't think they have Nation Houses for Summer Olympics, but I could be wrong.)

Naturally, I want to catch this action in Vancouver.

I happen to know that Heineken Holland House is probably in the middle of all the Richmond celebrations, but would like to be reminded which arena hosts it.

I recall that Russia House will be the Science World building at the end of False Creek. That sounds quite interesting.

I'd heard about "Saxony House" in Stanley Park. Is that the official Germany House? The article in which I found that seemed to indicate it wasn't the official Germany abode.

Canada will have 2?

I heard a whisper about USA House in Vancouver having a store open, which would be an improvement. Generally, USA House is a lame closed shop, sponsors and invited guests only.

I know Whistler will host Norway, Jamaica, Austria, a second USA, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like me & my GF will be able to make it up the hill. I'm asking about locations in Vancouver, but PLEASE assume that others will want to know what's up there.

Please, I beg you all, divulge the locations, find more houses, tell us which ones are open (most of the time, anyway), which ones aren't. The smaller countries would intrigue me more, I must add. Please, tell what you know.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nation Houses

As far as I know, these are all posted on another thread on this forum. I think it's the "free activities" post, but I'll check.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,962 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nation Houses

Life Sites and Pavillions thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i13530-k3267535…

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,064 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nation Houses

There will be a USA store in Vancouver, but I'm not sure if it is attached to USA House or not. USA House is not an open one. I'm going as a volunteer, and I know that much.

In SLC, one of my relatives was Canadian and got a pass for Canada House, but when my friend and I tried to use it we were asked for passports, so we were unable to get in.

4. Re: Nation Houses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 05:20
Get answers to your questions