We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Hi

Trying to buy tickets for the Olympic Figure Skating Events.

Interested in Pairs, Singles or Ice Dance.

Also interested in buying the more affordable practice session

tickets.

We didn't get any on the official online drawing 6 months ago.

Understand corporations bought tons and may turn the unused ones in for resale.

Any hints on where to buy them?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Hi there, there are quite a number of figure skating tickets now posted on the official VanOc fan-to-fan site. Beware though, they are not cheap, as they are in high demand. We have tickets to an Ice dancing event (one of the lower priced ice skating events when we bought them), and I saw that people are now asking at least $750 for 2 tkts.

You can locate the fan-to-fan site through the regular 2010 Olympic site - just choose 'buy tickets'. I found that you do need to register with their site in order to access the tickets for sale by fans - - but they haven't been sending me any junk email.

Edited: 14 January 2010, 04:35
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

The official site is one source, though be aware that you pay a 10% premium on top of the price. Of course there is also Ebay and Craiglists. If you want to be safe though, the Olympic website is the only way to guarantee your tickets will be legit.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Thank you for the good advice.

The skating tickets will be expensive but I will look for some now.

I will just close my eyes and charge them on my Visa

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
177 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

I thought I had read that only Canadians could sign onto Fan-To-Fan. I've now read differently.

One thing of note- having paid CoSport's jack-up for the tickets I do have, 10% average markup is nothing.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

>>One thing of note- having paid CoSport's jack-up for the tickets I do have, 10% average markup is nothing.

Interesting perspective. There is a 20% commission and a +-4% bank fee with CoSport, then the fulfillment fee and shipping. But even with those fees, it is WAY cheaper than trying to buy on the VANOC site now at inflated prices, plus the VANOC handling fee. And EBay is not much, if any, better.

I feel very good about paying US$579 total for nine event tickets in Whistler. That price includes all fees, charges, shipping, etc. My guess is that you would be paying more now on the secondary market than what you paid through CoSport. No, I am necessarily a cheerleader for CoSport, but their procedures are communicated clearly, easy to follow and if you plan early & are persistent, it is relatively easy to get the tickets you want.

John

Edited: 14 January 2010, 21:33
BC
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

I'm with you - when I bought my tickets I closed my eyes too and quickly hit the keyboard after I entered the Visa info.

Pounder - just so that you're not disappointed: to be clear there is quite a bit more than a 10% mark-up from the original ticket cost. Fan's can resell their tickets for any price they choose on the website. On top of the "fan's" resale price, VanOc will add 10% to cover their costs. For in-demand events, this means the asking price for tickets are really high. I have seen some tickets though that are priced very near to cost (some preliminary hockey, the curling, etc.). Others are somewhere in between: For example, I know a US vs. SUI hockey game are currently going for about $125 Cdn per ticket for decent seats - the orginal cost when they were sold a year ago was $80 per ticket.

I have seen some really good deals pop up occasionally though - I guess some people don't want to hassle of waiting to sell, so they list them at a low price. As others suggested, you may just want to be vigilent and keep going back to the site.

California
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Nine tickets for $579.00 through Cosport? What did I do wrong? (laugh)

I have no rocks to kick about Cosport and I was tad bit "embarassed" when I really studied what my olympic tickets were priced at according to VANOC and how Cosport really rocked those prices to us greedy Americans. I have 18 tickets so I am talking primarily about myself here. Like I said, I bought my tickets on a day when Cosport was supposidly on "dead". I kept buying ticket after ticket like I was on olympic-crack and I got everything I desired. I knew what I was buying and paying. I was just so happy to score...No remorse and I would do it all over again, changing nothing, if I could...laugh!

The tickets that I bought, via Cosport, that are being sold on the fan-to-fan site has made me feel "better" as the prices listed their clearly exceed what I paid to Cosport...even for Curling (sorry, Curling is my true red-white and blue headed step child of my olympic tickets.)

Here is also what past olympic coroprate buys have resulted in...empty seats. Rarely, do they turn tickets back in. Technically, the purchase was a 2009 TAX strategy (possibly) and it would be foolish to turn that around the following year. Who knows, things can and do change. The demands are too high right now.

How are the USA folks to get a chance/an offer to buy a ticket to a practice? Is this just for Canadian folks? I have no time to do this, I am just curious.

On the Olympic Figure Skating Events(Most are not available for purchase as of my typing.) Here is what the cost looks like:

A Figure Skating Ticket was originally listed as $420. , it is now listed as $450. according to VANOC. I paid $457.80 to Cosport, PLUS a $55.99 Comission fee...PLUS a $14.21 Bank Fee for a grand total of $532.00 for that one ticket BEFORE the additional Fulfillment Fee which was tacked on to the end of my bill.

Again, I kick no rocks, throw no sand at Cosport but I do feel a little er um...Now, what is worse is that those prices from VANOC are in canadian dollars which is what it is.

Good Luck, Have Fun!

8. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 16:46
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

Now Vanoc is sold out for the figure skating tickets but they are enabling the scalpers on the Fan to Fan site.

$250 tickets are asking $800 and up plus a 10% service fee on top of the price. The mark ups I have been watching have been 300%

Too bad they did build in a maximum mark up for the Fan to Fan sales.

The Vanoc site is difficult to navigate through. they do respond quickly to emails.

They said they are discounting tickets by 10% that have 50% obstructed views.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic Figure Skating Event Tickets

>>Too bad they did build in a maximum mark up for the Fan to Fan sales.

As far as I can see, they did *not* build in a maximum markup. Or is that what you meant to say???

Get answers to your questions