We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

Los Angeles
4 posts
Save Topic
Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

Hi my father is a journalist going to Vancouver for the winter Olympics in the upcoming weeks. I need to know what kind of clothes he should be buying so he'd be warm. He'd be going outdoor and indoor for events. We are from LA where our winter might be Vancouver's summer.

I've heard its better to buy the clothes there, but I can't do that. He won't have time to shop for anything. He'd be working from day one and I need him prepared and warm. He'll be there for about a month. Help from those who know will be appreciated.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,200 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

I am taking clothes that I can layer. Better than lots of heavy stuff. Outer layer should be waterproof. Vancouver will definitely be warmer than Whistler. Is he only going to Vancouver events? He wouldn't need as many layers in Vancouver as in Whistler.

When I go to olympic type events outdoors in off olympic years (world cups, world championships, etc), I have five layers on top and three on bottom and am usually very warm.

John

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

our climate is alot milder than you probably imagine, yes its wet but it is quite temperate

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,479 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

This week the temps are expected to be 9C / 4C and wet. I agree with layers. Today was a great day for long sleeved T with vest. If it weren't for the rain, meaning a rain resistant jacket with hood to pop up when needed, that would have been enough. Personal preference to wear a regular T under the long sleeved T. A ball cap or toque is the best insulator there is. No gloves, scarf needed today. A long sleeved T or shirt, zipped hoodie or vest and rain jacket with hood will do. Choose the jacket well because it can get windy sometimes here which increases the chill factor. GM Place is the only building venue where the stands are warm, jackets come off there. The other venues like the Coliseum, Thunderbird Arena are naturally cold. Perhaps the new Richmond Oval has heated stands, not sure.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,582 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

Nope, the oval will also be cool inside. I have no idea what 9 C is in Farenheit, so I'd suggest you convert that. It's pretty mild. When the sun comes out, you are comfortable in a longsleeved shirt and a hoodie.

No snow on the ground here and none forecast. Boots to keep the feet dry, but snow boots won't be necessary for most places except the Alpine venue at Whistler and perhaps the Nordic events at Whistler Olympic Park.

Staying dry is going to be the trick to staying warm.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

The weather in Vancouver is drastically different from the alpine venues like Whistler and Cypress. Here in the city I can get sweaty quickly with just my jacket. My normal outerwear is a rain-resistant jacket with a fleece liner. No boots because drainage is really good here. So pick clothing that breathes (like Goretex). And I love my hiking shoes - they get me everywhere and my feet stay dry, and I can wear them into a lot of restaurants too. The jacket should have a rainhood because that is more convenient than an umbrella.

His jacket should be one size larger (e.g. go XL if he is a Large) so that he can put on sweaters underneath when going to Whistler etc. - that's where the layering really helps. Gloves and a toque are handy when he is standing around waiting a lot in the cold, and they can be stashed into the pockets when not needed. Forget the russian style fur-lined headgear.

Jeans are fine - no need for snowpants unless he is planning on actually skiing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

The weather in Vancouver is drastically different from the alpine venues like Whistler and Cypress. Here in the city I can get sweaty quickly with just my jacket. My normal outerwear is a rain-resistant jacket with a fleece liner. No boots because drainage is really good here. So pick clothing that breathes (like Goretex). And I love my hiking shoes - they get me everywhere and my feet stay dry, and I can wear them into a lot of restaurants too. The jacket should have a rainhood because that is more convenient than an umbrella.

His jacket should be one size larger (e.g. go XL if he is a Large) so that he can put on sweaters underneath when going to Whistler etc. - that's where the layering really helps. Gloves and a toque are handy when he is standing around waiting a lot in the cold, and they can be stashed into the pockets when not needed. Forget the russian style fur-lined headgear.

Jeans are fine - no need for snowpants unless he is planning on actually skiing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

Hi,

I'll be working as a reporter at an outdoor venue in Whistler. I'm a volunteer, so I have to wear what they give me, but here's what I'll be wearing:

1 short sleeved merino wool t-shirt, 1 long sleeved merino wool hoodie, then my olympic t-shirt and vest and rain jacket over that. I'm wearing long underwear bottoms and then the rain pants they give me and a pair of waterproof winter boots (Sorrels) with some Merino ski socks. I might also buy some handwarmers (Hot Shots) if I'm standing around for a long time outside.

However, I wear similar layers when I'm skiing or just walking around the village. In Whistler yesterday I wore exactly what I described above and I was fine. You don't have to get Merino wool, it is very expensive, but if he invests in a couple of pieces he'll be really happy he did. It is light weight, very thin, and you can wear it for days and days and it doesn't smell. I know that sounds gross, but your dad won't have a lot of time to do laundry. Ice Breaker makes some really nice stuff. You can wear it in LA too, on chilly days, so it's not a waste of money. If he wants a list of stores that carry it, email me directly.

I'm also going to buy the gloves that have the fingers cut off but have a mitt flap that you can pull over top. They are hard to describe, sorry, but your father might want to get some of those here at Mark's Work Wearhouse. They keep your hands warm, but you can still take notes, or work the buttons on your recording device.

Other than that, listen to what the others were saying about clothing in Vancouver. A good rain jacket is all you really need, and a toque (beanie for you US neighbours).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

Given all of the rain we've had recently down here, and are expected to this weekend, Vancouver might not feel as different from LA as you would imagine, just a bit colder.

California
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

I am sending the Packing Thread up for you to look at...I write too...I am indoor and out door...I am in Vancouver for a month too...I am from Northern Cali. Your LA clthes will work and they will rock...totally..

If it were my dad, and he was a "j" I would dress him in cashmere...classy and I would totally go to The Ralph Lauren department and fit him up to the max... the clothes are stylish and warm. No microfibers are needed...trust me. Skip the jeans they are brutal in the cold. Go for a totally great looking ski jacket and snow pants for the snow events....get the silk underthingies...for him too.

Get him some bad to the bone Harley Davidson boots and get him one of them Raiders of The Lost Ark stetson hats...he's a "J" right?

Girl, have your daddy looking fine like mine does...

Good Luck, Have Fun...represent the Cali. fashion sense!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise on Clothes for the winter Olympics in Vancouver

If your suitcases can handle it, do bring some light clothing. Those of you who have lived in Vancouver as long as I have will remember that we sometimes get a week of really warm sunny weather in mid-February (what a coincidence!). Kind of like a blast of hot chinook winds, but it lasts all week instead of just a few hours like in Calgary. So far the forecast looking 14 days out is not showing that trend here.....but it could still happen. Don't panic - it does not happen every year, but I would love to see the newsies broadcasting to the world skiers wearing just t-shirts (or a swimsuit?).

Get answers to your questions