We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I may regret sharing this....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,577 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
I may regret sharing this....

OK, I'm trusting that few locals are referring to this board for information (if they were, they wouldn't have been standing on the wrong side of the security fence around BC Place last night wondering how to get in). As such, I will share something, but please leave us a spot, because this is going to work well for me.

DH and I just went out for a drive into the Lake City area in Burnaby, which is served by the Lake City/University and Production Way Skytrain stations. Guess what? Lots of free street parking. No time limits, no signage about who can park there or for how long. Nothing. Several blocks of street parking within 5 minute walk of those two stations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I may regret sharing this....

This is a really good tip, but there's one caveat I would like to stress: please (please, please) stick to parking in the streets and do NOT park in the parking lots of the local businesses, no matter how empty the lots may look.

I work in this area, and park (in our parking lot)-and-ride Skytrainers are an unfortunate source of constant irritation. I know this is common sense stuff, but I thought I'd throw out a weary warning anyway. :-)

Also note: there are also a couple of movie studios in that vicinity, and if there's a big shoot going on, street parking is a bit more difficult. It's not so much the television shows, but an on-location movie shoot can really gum up the works. Haven't seen any signage lately, so things should be okay (I'm assuming movie shoots will slow down during the Olympics anyway).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,577 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I may regret sharing this....

Thanks Cadenza - good advice. No need to go into the commercial lots at all. Can you advise regarding how clogged up the street parking gets on a normal (non-movie) day? DH is planning to park there around 3 pm to take the kids down to the Dress Rehearsal for the Opening Ceremonies. We're hoping he'll be able to find something on the street around one of those two stations.

I would guess that the people who use the commercial lots are late and desperately trying to park close to the stations. If you have time to walk for a few blocks, there seems to be lots to choose from.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I may regret sharing this....

I think your last sentence is correct. Parking can vary day to day, but yes, the farther you go, the better chance you have of finding a spot. When it comes to the Lake City station, you shouldn't have to go further than 2 - 3 blocks.

4. Re: I may regret sharing this....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions