We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick questions

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quick questions

Will taxis be available from the airport to our rental home in Kitsilano this Friday? There seemed to be some confusion about this in earlier posts.

Also, for those of you there already, how easy is it to get a taxi? I've been downloading bus schedules like crazy, but it sure would be easier to just jump in a cab at the Richmond Oval to get back to the house.

And finally, what time will the Opening Ceremonies start on TV there? We want to make sure we get back from the grocery store in time.

surrey eh vo BC
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick questions

I don't see there being a problem getting a cab to kits.you could also take canada line to broadway and catch a cab from there and save some money.the opening starts at six.pm

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick questions

Taxis will be available from the airport. You would just get in the queue. Everyone will get managed by commissionaires to keep the line moving.

Don't know about taxis from the R Oval, but can't see why not. There will very likely be a queue in front as well.

Opening Ceremonies start at 4:00 in my TV guide. CTV is one among many, channel 9 on cable. 5 hours.

Transit will take 2 transfers and an hour.

Edited: 10 February 2010, 23:45
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick questions

Here's a link to the tv scheduling. I assume you want Vancouver times.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Olympic+listings/2544555/story.html

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick questions

And ..... just to add to the uncertainty.

The 88 page booklet published by our two newspapers here called "17 Days the best guide to the Games" has the Opening Ceremonies timed at "6-9 pm."

(I only mentioned Vancouver times because some news outlets are using their local times, like Ottawa for example. It does look like a d'oh statement!!)

Edited: 11 February 2010, 00:43
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick questions

Thanks everyone, we'll be sure to be at the house by 6 just in case.

Also, we have reservations one night at Monk McQueen's. Is that walk along the waterfront to Granville Island still open? If we want to bike the whole waterfront (False Creek?) if the rain stops later in the week, is that still possible - esp. past the Olympic Village?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick questions

From Kits Beach to Cambie is open, from Cambie to one block before Main St., which contains the Olympic Village, is closed to the public.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick questions

Look up the numbers for Yellow Cab and Blacktop & Checker cabs and call them from your place in Kits when you need one. I heard on the radio that they're in need of the business because the road closures and no-stopping zones have made it difficult for them to do roadside pick-ups. Not sure how true this is, but I wouldn't hesitate to call a cab. We've had good experiences calling Blacktop & Checker - they're usually at our place in less than 10 minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick questions

I don't know what the TV stations are doing, but here's the schedule for the stadium.

2 pm - doors open for visitors to access the stadium.

5 pm - pre show and audience participation training

6 pm - opening ceremonies start.

8:30 or so - OC end

I don't think they are televising the pre-show, so I'd expect live coverage of the opening ceremonies to start at 6 pm. If there is TV coverage before that, it's probably a couple of commentators talking about the weather, doing some man-in-the-street interviews, talking to reporters at the different venues, etc.

You might also want to watch the opening ceremonies from one of the Live Sites if you want a crowd atmosphere.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick questions

Any tips on a good place to watch the OC in Squamish? That is where we are staying, maybe a good bar, or other location. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick questions

Look into the Brew Pub at Howe Sound Inn

Get answers to your questions