We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Rings

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Rings

Did they turn them off after the Olympics, or are they keeping them up until after the Paralympics?

Thanks!

Julian

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Rings

the Olympic rings are a trademark of the Olympic Games. The Paralympics is actually an entirely separate program that is not entitled to use the logos and insignia of the Olympic Games, so I would expect that anything like that is coming down.

I've noticed that a lot of stuff is being produced with "Vancouver 2010" on it, which is OK for both events. My volunteer uniform for example, only has Olympic marks on the jacket. Everything else is only labeled with "Vancouver 2010" making it usable for both events. (The jacket has been designed so that it is convertible - there are snaps around the rings on the back, so I will probably get something on Friday that snaps over the rings and covers them with a Paralympic symbol)

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Rings

Your outfits were so cool. We kept trying to think of ways to discreetly mug a volunteer and take their outfit.

They are the perfect color for me.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Rings

The rings in the harbour are still lit at night the colour gold.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Rings

Good to know, but I'm fairly sure they will be down before the Paralympics begin. I remember the outcry when they pulled them off the Sydney Harbour Bridge before their Paralympics began.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Rings

Yes, they did a good job of the uniforms. One of the guys I worked with on Sunday said someone offered him $1000 cash right there for his jacket. I hear some folks are selling them on eBay. The Smurf blue was a good choice. Easy to spot and distinctive, so you could always find a volunteer when you needed one, but the colour is nice enough that everyone can wear it and no one strongly disliked wearing their uniforms.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Olympic Rings

Rings are still glowing gold as of Thursday night.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympic Rings

Well according to the Russian calculations, Canada was first and they were eleventh. It took us a while to figure out that they do their placements by gold medals and not by the number you won. It seems in Europe that they prefer to count gold as winning rather than the number of medals won. I guess that is why the rings are still gold.

Mexico City, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Olympic Rings

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping to be able to get a photo of Vancouver's skyline with the rings on the front (a cliche, I know). Hopefully they wll keep them glowing. I kind of noticed that the Paralympics gear didn't include the rings, but I didn't think the IOC would be that strict with the rings. The Paralympics are a small market, I suppose.

Anyways, I'll enjoy the Paralympics regardless of the rings.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Olympic Rings

I think they are replacing the rings with the Paraolympic logo. So no more Olympic rings, sorry!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Olympic Rings

It's Sunday night. The barge is still there but no longer lit.