We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reselling Olympics tickets

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Reselling Olympics tickets

Olympics tickets

This BBC arcticle about Olmypics tickets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13338579

says:

> EBay, the internet auction site, has said it will

> not allow the resale of Olympic tickets.

and

> Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police's Operation Podium,

> which deals with Olympic-related fraud, says it is

> continuing to monitor the internet for ticket touts.

Why? What is wrong with people selling tickets that they have bought but no longer want?

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

There's an official Olympic system for reselling your tickets that you don't want which will be opened up at some point in the future. You must use this system to resell and not any other method. Banning the selling of certain big event tickets on ebay etc is quite common as it discourages the touts from buying up bundles of tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

I fear that any "official" system will be hedged round with too many rules. What's wrong with letting them find their own market level? I would have thought that the limits on number of tickets per application would have been enough to discourage bulk touts.

Seems a bit off to make a deal out of this after the tickets have been bought.

What worries me more is that I've seen suggestions that they expect the person who bought the tickets to turn up at the entrance - can't see that working.

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

I'd expect that a lot of it has to do with security also, they're paranoid (and rightfully so) about terrorism during the games so I guess they think they can keep a tighter rein on who has what tickets if they keep the entire process in house and I think they would probably be looking for any watchlist names to flag up. If you allow tickets on ebay then you're letting them out in to the wild as such. I'm only guessing on that but I'd imagine there must be a lot of that going on.

Touts always find a way around number limits, other events I've known to be banned on ebay also had limits of about 4-6 tickets or so, but there's many ways around these things for a pro.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

They should have made that clear (and I don't mean buried somewhere in 8 pages of Ts & Cs that no-one has read) before sellign the tickets, then, I think. It's too late now for them to be turning away granny from one event because her ticket was booked by her daughter who is attending something else at the same time, or people whose tickets were booked by friends who can no longer go.

colchester
Level Contributor
207 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

you can be certain

that they wont be checking your id against the name on the ticket

scares like this crop up at every big event

the last was the world cup in south africa

its stupid it just cant be done, a logistical nightmare

they. - especially fifa just say it , to put off touting

Davenport, Iowa
Level Contributor
152 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

Agree with Fletch, FIFA warned about their stringent ID checks, and out of 4 games we attended we NEVER saw any ID checks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

That's reassuring. Annoying that they lie about it.

There aren't names on the tickets - those weren't requested at booking. It's just their post hoc threat to insist the credit card holder is there.

colchester
Level Contributor
207 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

btw

does anybody know anyone alive who has ACTUALLY had money taken out of their account yet, in a sucessfull application

Apparently they started taking out on 16th

Because i dont

Would be interested to find someone and whwt the sucess rate was

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

It will be impossible to tell how successful people have been. They are only taking the money, not telling you which tickets, thats post middle of June.

You'll be able to do some rough calculations on the amount of money taken, for example if you have a single, or number of events very expensive in proportion to the rest of your application, you may be able to figure that, for example 1/3 of my potential cost is the 2 ceremonies. But other than that you'll have to wait and see, you wont be able to figure any meaningful calculations. Even if someone gets 1/2 their potential cost for example, it doesnt mean anything, as a) you're unlikely to have the same events, and even if you manage to find 1 person, to get to a position where you can get anything approaching a sound analysis you'll need to find so many people, and do such complex analysis that frankly, you're crazy, unless its you have only applied for 1 session, in which case maybe it would work. Either way, just wait, it wont be long.

Edited: 18 May 2011, 19:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
889 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reselling Olympics tickets

My 2 adult children already know which tickets they have (and which they missed). I don't know if this is becasue it's through an overseas site. They're also in the process of applying for others.

For the Sydney Olympics we had to pay for all tickets when we applied, didn't find out for 3 months if we were successful (only got a few out of many) and then the remainder of our money was refunded a month later. So Visa had our money for 4+ months, which I thought was outrageous, but that was the only way you could get into the first allocation. Tickets for less popular sports/events were available closer to the time.

As for ID, who's to say the CC holder wasn't buying the tickets as a gift for someone?

Whatever, enjoy the Olympics. Ours was an absolutely fantastic experience, and I'm sure yours will be too.

Get answers to your questions