We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

Florida
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

I have looked and the info is not the best so can anyone tell me if we can visit the sites? Are there tours or can you see the Olympic village? We will be there second week of May. thank you

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

I'm not aware of any tours as far as I know. If however you just want to see the village, go to Statford International Docklands Light Railway station and all the apartment bllocks facing you as you come out will form the athletes' village. For a good bird's eye view of the main site, go into the Westfield mall (through the train station if you're coming via Stratford International) and go up to the top floor of the John Lewis department store. Look for the Olympic store on this level, go through it and out the other side is a gallery from where you get a spectacular view of the whole site including the main stadium, tower and swimming pool complex.

If you want to do a tour of a typically english venue, there are regular tours of Lord's cricket ground which is where the archery will take place. Info. on www.lords.org

Level Contributor
3,398 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

There are a number of London Prepares Series events in the park in the first 8 days of May.

London
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

If you drive into Westfield shopping centre from the Leyton entrance you drive past the main stadium, the basketball stadium and the velodrome and through the Olympic village and its all free - travel speed 5 miles an hour so you get plenty of time to look.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

Thank you all!

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

I will be traveling to London in about 2 weeks (mid Feb). I am staying near Regent's Park for just one day. Is is worth the ride out to see the village and stadium?

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

Unless sport and stadiums are really your thing, i'd have to say probably not, particularly given there are no public tours of the site at present. If they are, you could do the tour of Wembley stadium as an alternative, which will host the olympic soccer finals. It's bookable on line - just google Wembley Stadium. Just go to Wembley Park on the Jubilee or Metroplitan tube lines. Hope you enjoy your stopover anyway.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 23:31
Florida
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

www.johnlewis.com/Shops/DSShop.aspx?Id=53

I am going to go to the John Lewis store and take a look from there. I have a day and night in London and want to see the Olympic site and buy some things from their gift shop.

Northallerton...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

The View Tube offers a good vista of the site too...

http://www.theviewtube.co.uk/

And you can have a good old wander from there towards Hackney Wick around the outside of the Olympic Park.

Level Contributor
3,398 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

The View tube is a good idea, but I'd check if it will still be open, I'm sure someone on here said it was due to shut in April

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,245 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting the Olympic village before the games in May

The View Tube does indeed shut in April although I don't have an actual date.

Get answers to your questions