We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Westport...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Hi All,

This isn't directly related to travel however it is Olympics related and something I thought some of you may have insight on given how well versed you seem to be on all things Olympic related.

I'm an American and bought tickets from CoSport, though my friend lives in the UK and is monitoring their ticketing site. I've read a few articles from various countries about ticket sales being low (Australia comes to mind, but forgive me if I'm mis-remembering) but also noted that CoSport says "Each country’s ticket inventory is separate and will not be affected by any of the other countries’ sales. " So what then happens when come July one nation has sold out of all tickets for an event and another has a surplus (ie ping pong, incredibly popular and sold out in China but still very much available to the US). Given the focus on recouping expenses to host the events you'd think there'd be some scheme for re-allocating the supply to where demans i highest at that point to maximize dollars earned, and added bonus of fuller looking stadiums when cameras pan the crowds.

Any insights? Am I overlooking something obvious?

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

They are handed back for sale at the Games themselves I believe. If not before.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

I'm not sure how London is doing it but when we had the Winter Olympics, a ticket booth was set up so people could get tickets for events that hadn't sold out. Hopefully London will do something similar.

Westport...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Makes sense, thanks! I hadn't been able to find anything that said that but it seems most logical. I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates on that on the 2012 ticket site, fingers crossed we can get some cheap tickets for things and if not we'll hang out at the viewing screens!

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Anytime a country wants, it can send its tickets back to LOCOG. Then LOCOG can choose to sell them directly (to the UK) or send it out to one of the other countries.

Keep in mind the vast differences in ticket allotments. The US got something like 56,000 tickets, the UK is getting 6 million. If the US has a glut of ping pong tickets, that at most means they have a few hundred unsold tickets, probably less. That glut turns into a drop in the bucket if sold in the UK.

Also keep in mind that LOCOG has something like 1.5m more football tickets to sell, and 1 million non-football tickets. Have you buddy request some of those when the next wave opens (looks like it's been pushed back to May). Also, be sure to check Cosport from time to time. They will be getting in tickets from time to time up until the games open. They won't necessary send out announcements.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

We here in the Caribbean region - which covers over 40 countries for tickets and packages, etc - have until May 31, 2012 to buy or obtain our tickets from our committee or authorized retailer (there is only one for all of our area). After that, I presume our tickets are going back into the larger pool or to be resold on the UK market or however they are re-allocating. I have been lucky enough to obtain tickets to a few events and am contemplating one or 2 more - but damn if they are not pricey! I know it is a (almost) once in a life time experience, but it is still expensive! (for me, been to events in LA, Atlanta and Salt Lake, so not quite once in a lifetime!)

From what I can tell from the area reseller and the different committees - there are a fair amount of tickets coming back from our region. I don't know how many were allotted, but they are definitely not selling out.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

I would have liked to know amount of tickets allocated per country and in wht categories. Seems like 1 or 2 tickets in some events and all high priced ones. + have to add the sales commission.

They said they get more tickets based on which events the particular Country takes part in. So they said they had more track tickets than something like gymnastics.

I wanted Opening Ceremony tickets and they said they didn't have any tht I could get but seems like if I took a package with them I would have gotten OC tickets.

Am not privy to info on if there are lots of unsold tickets or not. So can't say.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,050 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Yeah, I noticed that with Cartan (our reseller, same as yours Poison) if we wanted OC or CC tickets, we would have needed to take a package with them - as we are staying with family in London - no need for the all-inclusive package with lodging, etc in order to get Ceremony tickets. those appear to be the hardest tickets to get!!

Good luck Poison - hope you get your hands on some - we had some good luck with both athletics and other events and were able to check out tickets in all 3 price brackets.

Trinidad
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

I got the tickets that I wanted except for the OC. There was CC tickets available for short space of time but I wasnt going to pay US$1800 for tht.

Now I cant wait to get there.

Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Have you physically received your tickets from Cantour? Of not, when do we actually get them?

Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Allocation of Tickets to Countries

Have you physically received your tickets from Cartan? Of not, when do we actually get them?

Get answers to your questions