We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What else to do in London during the Olympics?

9 posts
Save Topic
What else to do in London during the Olympics?

We are lucky to have tickets for a couple of events next week, including one in the Olympic Park, but will still have one evening and the best part of another day to fill in London. We have two boys aged 8 and 10 and we have already "done" lots of the touristy stuff, museums etc, on previous visits. With the news reports of everything being so quiet we though we would take advantage of that or find some other olympic themed events. We have tickets for BT London Live in Hyde Park but the reviews are really putting me off going! I know the boys will love walking ound and spotting the Wenlocks and Mandevilles that are dotted around, any other ideas?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,871 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

The boys are presumably on school holiday and have lots of time on their hands, so why not get them to do some research and come up with things they would really like to do?

And don't rule out a repeat visit to something they really enjoyed!

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

Time on their hands? They are either out playing sport or watching it on TV! But a good idea, thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

How about going rowing on the serpentine??

Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

I've loved Hyde Park,been a few times, haven't heard bad reviews. Ok the food and drink is pricey but the atmosphere is amazing and far more fun than watching on a normal tv.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
664 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

What is putting you off about the BT London Live reviews?

Did you have tix for something the boys would like?

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

The BT London Live Facebook page is full of negative comments about not being able to take food and drink in and the only food on offer inside being overpriced junk. Unfortunately my son has a nut allergy, two of us are vegetarian and I object to filling up our water bottles from handwashing taps situated next to open air urinals. Plus I have heard they are showing adverts on the big screens during crucial moments eg matchpoint in Andy Murray's match?! We may pop down there one evening but I really don't think it's going to be the day out I thought it would be, which is why we're looking for alternatives.

Level Contributor
3,391 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

I think you are being a bit silly with the water thing. No issues have been reported with the system which is operating at all the venues. The food is unfortunate but well known and no worse than anywhere else in London.

Fair enough if you choose against, but I think you are really missing out. The atmosphere this afternoon when Wiggins won was mind blowing

Edited: 01 August 2012, 20:36
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

Thanks for your comments GEJP. FYI the food and drink system is only operating like that at the BT London live Venues. Other Olympic venues allow food in. Glad to hear the atmosphere was good, like I say we may pop down there, we just won't make it the full day out we had planned, which is why I was asking for ideas for alternatives.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

timeout.com/london/feature/2856/things-to-do…

http://www.london2012.com/join-in/festival/

How about going swimming in the Serpentine?? The open water swims will be held there......

How about going to Hampton Court, the scene of todays fantastic Wiggo victory??

London
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What else to do in London during the Olympics?

<FYI the food and drink system is only operating like that at the BT London live Venues.>

Food, yes, but none of the Olympic venues lets you take in your own drinks.

If it puts your mind at rest over the water issue, my daughter and I had a great time at Hyde Park today, we saw NO open-air urinals (yuck!) but filled our water bottles at one of the many water stations. They were not hand-washing taps.

The only food we bought were crepes (we had food with us which we ate before going in) but my daughter noticed a vegetarian stand and there were also panini and baked potatoes in addition to the burgers and pizzas. Nothing gourmet, admittedly, but not the worst selection I've seen.

Oh, we also played swingball and table tennis, collected a few pin badges from the Samsung 'house' after creating artistic masterpieces on their latest mobile phones, listened to some of the live music and, like GEJP, watched Bradley Wiggins win his gold medal.

Get answers to your questions