We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home Exchanging

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Home Exchanging

Home exchanging is a great way for seniors to travel. I have been involved in exchanging since 1990. Next summer I will be traveling to Melbourne, Australia, and Christchurch, NZ, on exchanges.

I would urge all of you on limited budgets to investigate exchanging. I started doing this with my kids and now am doing it solo as I approach the age (It can't be fast enough for me) of being insured through Medicare.

I belong to both Homelink and Intervac, but there are many other exchange services out there to investigate. Just be sure that the service you choose has enough members to assure that you will get something--and don't get your heart set on a particular place. I generally take the first real offer I get (and home exchangers generally plan about a year out). By having an open mind about where I go, I have had some very interesting trips in places where most North Americans do not go (Lahti, Finland, anyone?).

Please note that exchanging only works well if the other party can get a visa. If they live in a country where getting a visa is a problem, you really cannot swap.

Have fun. In 2011 I am already talking to someone about Bavaria, but nothing is firm yet (and with the plummeting value of the US dollar, I might decide to exchange within North America).

Iowa City
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Home Exchanging

Hi Denise

Thank you for picking up on my random questions. Perhaps, we should continue the Adelaide conversation via regular email. I will include my

address at the end.

Back to Bomarzo for a moment: originally, I thought I would take a taxi to and

from the Parco but others have said there are no taxis there. Therefore, I will pick up a car

in Orvieto for 2 days and tour around a little bit. I've driven by Pitigliano before

so perhaps I will stop there. Any other suggestions? I will return the car to Orvieto.

Originally, I had hoped to tour Sicily, but that will have to wait for another trip.

Questions about Adelaide include hotels/motels and how to get to Esperance from Adelaide. I've been to the Esperance and Albany area

and would like to return eventually ending up in Perth.

Do you know the song "The Bridal Train" by the Waifs? I love it.

Thank you

James Harris jim@prairielights.com

22. Re: Home Exchanging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 October 2013, 16:06
23. Re: Home Exchanging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2012, 05:33