We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding a travel companion or group

San Francisco
Level Contributor
148 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Finding a travel companion or group

I am in my early 60's and love to travel. Have been all over the world many times, except to Africa (aside from visiting Egypt, that is). My husband is a less enthusiastic traveler, and more and more often resists the idea of going. The time seems to be coming when he will refuse to go at all.

I would like to find/join a travel club that helps single travelers find a companion to travel with, to a variety of places, sort of like those ride-sharing boards at college. I am fit, lift weights, go hiking and biking, climbing, etc. I am not ready to stay home and sit on the porch yet!

I have always traveled independently, making my own itinerary and reservations. I enjoy the adventure, and like everything from good hikes to museums. Can someone suggest a venue for matching interests with another traveler or travelers?

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
512 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

I'm a member of travelfriend.com.au. it is an australian website but has members from many countries and is a useful way to contact people with similar travel interests.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

Here in the UK there are a number of tour operators that cater for single travellers. I can't believe they don't exist in the States?

Also, cruises generally cater for singles too and try to get together those people who are travelling alone and would like to meet up with other single travellers.

Sydney
Level Contributor
679 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

Hello!

I am another senior traveler whose husband prefers to stay at home. I would dearly like to find a travel companion to team up with, especially if you are from Sydney, Australia.

Currently, I prefer to travel in Asia or New Zealand in the later part of October 2011 but willing to consider Europe in 2012.

Would love to hear from other seniors who have been successful in finding a travel companion.

Thanks

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

You may be interested in browsing through this website www.thetraveldepartment.com. It is a highly regarded company in Ireland

and it is mainly "seniors" on the tours many of whom travel unaccompanied.

Cork
Level Contributor
351 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

Suggest you check out www.thetraveldepartment.com. Mainly "seniors"

travel with this group and quite often unaccompanied.

naples
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

I encourage you to travel alone. I am 68 and just returned from my first solo trip to Switzerland with Globus and it was a fabulous experience. I met wonderful people and spent some time with another solo traveler. But also felt very comfortable by myself.

I would much rather travel alone that with someone who doesn't know how to enjoy foreign travel and keeps comparing every experience to things "at home."

Go for it.

pqg
santa clarita, ca...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

Hello: I am also 78 and not an old crock! But I do not enjoy long hikes any more. // I have travelled extensively and have enjoyed several 'big-ship' cruises; now I want to try a river cruise, preferably the Danube. Grand Circle Travel has an excellent cruise, offered annually, from Budapest to Bucharest, with pre and post-trip add ons. I had in mind to do this this year, but my travel companion had to cancel. Would you be interested in doing this next year: 2013. // I have travelled solo as well as with a companion and have enjoyed both, although I do prefer travelling with someone. I live in the Santa Clarita Valley in So. Calif.; exit port is Los Angeles// I look forward to hearing from you. And thanks.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 22:18
38. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 June 2012, 23:51
London, England
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

SadieFlynn

It is not a good idea to post your private email on a public site.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,166 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Finding a travel companion or group

I agree that you should not post your real name or your personal e-mail out here in public! To delete your post click on Report Inappropriate content and choose -Delete my post --from the drop down menu.

IF you want to communicate in private with anyone on this site then click on their screen name and you will be able to send them a private message.

You can put all your info there and it will not be seen by anyone else!!!

Get answers to your questions