We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

I want to take my mom on a vacation - problem is, she 82 and has a hard time walking any distances. Last few years we have been renting homes at the Jersey shore (but in reality that is not a vacation for anyone, as everyone ends up visiting us and we end up cooking and cleaning just like we are at home). She can't do steps and I would really love to do something a little different than a house at the Jersey shore. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

If you scroll down on the forum page you'll find a post entitled "Europe With Mom' that may be a place to start.

Are there places that she has not been to that she would love to see? I know you mentioned mobility issues so is a long plane ride not a good idea? Do you want to stay in the US? The more info you can provide would help with responses.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Travel to Europe wouldn't really work as we would probably have to travel first class and I couldn't afford that. She would need the leg room of a first class seat as she has bad knees and legs.

Somewhere in the US would be great. A train trip or travel by car or even a short plane trip. Just somewhere nice and different.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Hi there, My name is Carol. I am also looking for a place within the US for my parents who are 88 and 89 and in pretty good health except for extended walking. I need something that includes all meals and planned entertainment. Have you had any luck yet?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

No, not yet. Someone mentioned Europe but can't afford the airfare. I'm still looking and if I find anything I will post it here.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Every older person is different.

Do these folks have any interests?

For example do your parents/mother like theater?/art? music??architecture?

scenery?

There are many places one can go to find these things. Just asking for a place for an person over 80 doesn't really help us give you ideas!

I know folks who go on cruises at that age and love it because the ship takes them to different places but they only have to unpack once.

I don't know any resorts in the USA that include all meals and entertainment.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Have you checked out RoadScholars (the old Elderhostel)? They offer a lot of different options at different activity levels and include most meals.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

My father has just taken his 95 year old mother to see her niece in Florida - from UK! He had a little trouble finding insurance, but the airport staff really looked after her, along with the crew. (Virgin Atlantic). You get more leg room on long haul flights anyway without travelling first class so Europe might be feasible. It's not too warm here at the moment though, I suggest that you wait for it to warm up a bit.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Thank you very much. I didn't know that about the leg room. I will keep that in mind when I bring that idea up to her.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
540 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

Well, that's been my expierence anyway. At a guess I would imagine the American carriers probably have more room than the European ones as North Americans tend to be larger. (No offence.) Unfortunetly you cannot sit in an extra legroom sit in economy if you have any kind of mobility issue - I was moved once myself from one of these seats and stuck right at the back with 2 youngsters who played noisy computer games all the way!

10. Re: Any ideas for a vacation to take my 82 year old mother on?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 04:17
Get answers to your questions