We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

has anyone here traveled in belize and found lodging that is exotic but on fairly level ground with easy walking paths, few stairs but with handrails, basic moderate or budget room/cabana with private bath,and pools easy to step in and out of (again, handrails would be helpful)? Places not overrun with kids in the summer months? Not looking for wheelchair or h/c 'accessibility' -- just easy access and walkability. And tours/excursions that dont require physical agility?

i've posted this enquiry on several forums, very little response. One very helpful lady wrote to me privately, that's about it. so any advice or personal tales would be very welcome. thanks--peggy, sanfrancisco

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

Hi there

I know someone who is resident in Belize at the moment and I passed your question on - this is the response I got, which I hope will be helpful. It's maybe not what you want to hear, but it's a truthful opinion.

Basically, if there's anywhere in the world that you would like all the above requirements, then Belize is not the place. I've been told that there's probably no way you will get what you're after, and that's possibly why you're not getting many responses.....

All my contact can recommend is The Radison hotel which is in Belize City,

facebook.com/l/66683hMV-UTRUDdzx4wNJxtKEdg

radisson.com/belize-city-hotel-bz/…services

but that's not a cabana obviously - but will have easy access and a pool you can get into.

As for lodges/budget rooms, then again, my contact is not sure. They know of Chan Chich

facebook.com/l/66683-ZDC5q2hbqjAXP8vF66ZOg

www.chanchich.com

which is on fairly level ground, but is one of the top lodges so will be very expensive.

If you want budget then there's Pedros Inn on Ambergris Caye

facebook.com/l/…

My contact would totally not recommend Belize for you as they don't think you'll find what you're looking for. They think you'd be better off looking at Cancun or Playa del Carmen in Mexico and think that you're more likely to find what you're after there.

Belize itself is an adventure playground, full of snorkelling, sailing, wind surfink, kayaking, then jungle trekking, mayan ruin climbing, cave tubing and zip-lining. The only thing that may be suitable is a visit to the zoo as that's small and on level ground.

If some of the links given above don't work, you may have to copy and paste them into your browser.

I hope that has been of some help to you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

hi, thanks very much. i've been to mexico several times, both coasts, and cozumel, the yucatan and chichen-itza, no problem at all, just like you said. not that there is 'accessibility' as defined by disability laws in the US-- but the hotels, public transport, villages, even side excursions into the jungle were very easy to navigate. i had no idea, til i started researching Belize as an alternative destination to mexico, it was so ... athletic. as hot and steamy as the place is -- how do tourists have all that energy? and it's expensive!

i planned to go with my 2 adult daughters and we are interested in history, the criollo and garifuna cultures, food, music,; birding, nature preserves, farms, village markets. If your friend has any more suggestions i'd be happy to hear them thanks again--- peggy, san francisco

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

Hi again

I've passed on what you said, so if there are any more ideas I'll certainly let you know.

Whatever you decide on, I hope you have a great holiday.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

My friend in Belize has passed on the following for you:

If you like the history, perhaps you should try Hopkins village

http://www.hopkinsbelize.com

It's level, flat and quite quaint. My friend went there once on a day trip. From there you could try accessing the South end of Belize, like Placencia

http://www.placencia.com

or Punta Gorda

http://www.southernbelize.com/puntagorda.html

Although my friend hasn't been to the last two mentioned, it could be worth a try.....

5. Re: BELIZE travel for somewhat limited mobility senior

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 15:16