We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The lost luggage experience

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Topic
The lost luggage experience

On a recent fortnight's package holiday to Crete, we arrived in Chania from Manchester to find one suitcase of two missing - another passenger also lost one suitcase. Our experience was that filling in a PIR form at the arrival airport is essential but that it takes at least 3 days for missing luggage to catch up with you. The luggage handling company at the arrival airport is the only agency that can start any search for missing luggage - the handling agency at the departure airport, the airline, and our holiday company all denied any responsibility. Our holiday rep. was uninterested, unsympathetic and only when pushed hard was prepared to do more than make jokes about 'it being a good job that it wasn't my wife's case that had gone missing' or 'my case had gone on a holiday on its own'! The other passenger's case arrived after 3 days - mine got stuck in Athens en-route and eventually arrived after 5 days. At least this time the case, whilst it had been opened, searched and repacked, had not been ransacked - that only seems so happen around Christmas!

Anyone else got advice about lost luggage? If a package holiday company arranges holidays do they not sub-contract handling agents and airlines as part of the package?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The lost luggage experience

The people inside the airport are usually the ones mis handling your luggage.

Under most conditions they cannot be controlled....when they get lazy or want to steal something not much anyone can do.

Get good trip Insurance and wish for the best.

Do not store any expensive things in checked luggage jewelry , electronics NOTHING !!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The lost luggage experience

We had a suitcase missing upon arrival in Rome. We were with a group starting a 14 day tour of

Italy. Long story short, it took five days for our bag to catch up with us in Venice. During that

Five days our tour guide bent over backwards in helping us. Many phone calls, txt msgs, etc.,

And always with a smile. Our tour guide was Alfred and the company is Grand European. I

Cannot recommend it too highly. We understand how frustrated you must have been. Luckily,

We were traveling with a group of family and friends and could borrow some clothing. Learned to

Never pack individually, but split the clothes.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The lost luggage experience

If you book a holiday as a Package Holiday from the UK the tour company are responsible for the luggage. Don't let them fob you off with "It's the airlines's responsibility" Just make sure you get the paper work completed at the airport and by the tour rep to make claims easier. You can claim for everyday essentials if you don't have clothes etc.

We've had delayed luggage several times. My wife and I always put half our clothes in each of our two cases. Sounds obsessive but cases do go missing, so we think it's wise. Once had both our cases delayed on the way home and our friends lost theirs completely.

Check out the 1992 Package Tour Regulations for the small print and your rights

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The lost luggage experience

You are getting good advice about splitting the clothes into two bags. I always mean to do that but just don't.

When my bag has gone missing they seem to find it rather quickly. Try to make your bags as different as possible. If you can buy a tasteless, gaudy color design so much the better. It serves two purposes and those are to make a thief think that whatever is inside would mirror the outside look but also to make a lost bag easy to spot. I just put a strap around the middle of my bag to help secure it but also it also (being colorful stripes) makes it easy to see.

In Frankfurt (and other airports) I notice that they have a service that wraps your bag with a clear wrap so that, while they can still send it somewhere other than where you are going, at least it deters theft. You've seen these too I'm sure.

Too bad that we have to go to these measures. The travel portion of the holiday sure is not fun is it?

California
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The lost luggage experience

Play it safe. Only carry on what you need. I have not put luggage in the hold in 15 years. I do not like waiting for it for one. I would rather hop off the plane and on with my trip. Less is best.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The lost luggage experience

I'm with painnurse. If you don't want to lose it then keep it with you. I never check luggage, I never have to wait for luggage to come off a carousel and nothing ever goes missing. Most people pack way too much stuff. Why does everyone think they are holidaying in outer space where there are no shops? If you must shop,take old stuff. Buy nice new stuff while you are away and toss the old.

Happy travels.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 11:18
California
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The lost luggage experience

Evam, I do the same! We take all our old sox and underwear that ought to be tossed, wear it and throw away as we go. We bring a few good ones and wash/wear. We bring the small toothpaste you get at dentist and when run out, hop into a store. Part of the fun for me is to see how the locals shop. I can go away for a month with a carry-on. The problem is to be honest, when we went to Thailand we did use the hold for the way back as I sort of went on a shopping spree, but no more. Done. Don't need a thing. On our Europe trip of 3 weeks the bag was lighter when we came home.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The lost luggage experience

You guys are so scary !!

I personally cannot stand to be the minimalist traveler. Holding up the seating trying to cram their carry ons into the bins while everyone else waits...making that last minute que with the oversized carry on's-- that are lined up like soldiers outside the door of the airplane that 20 people brought to and now cannot fit into the airplane cabin.......and the minimalist running off the plane always trying to be the fastest moving and and quickist off the mark.

I guess all types of travelers have a purpose...but I just cannot understand the thought patterns of the minimalist.I understand the business traveler wants to appear to be busy every single second --but why the recreational traveler wanting to travel with a thong and a T-shirt ??

Ahhh well, I come from a time when travel was supposed to be something you did for fun. Your luggage was what you brought with you to hold the clothing and supplys one needed for a great vacation. Now thats been replaced by vacationers trying to wear the same outfit for a week !! And boy do I wonder about all of your underwear !!!

I could not begin trying to travel out of a backpack--nor could I since I was --say----15 years old or so.

Guess--I will just have to get used to replacing stolen clothing once in awhile as opposed to washing my one shirt everynight in the sink and not waering bras because I need the saved space.

Less and less travelers every year. The enjoyment of travel has seemed to have faded away.

What a world we live in today.,,What a world !!

California
Level Contributor
2,473 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The lost luggage experience

Wanto, whow you think some of us are scary? Not every minimalist does what you seem to believe. My carry-on is not stuffed into the overhead. I am a relaxed traveler. How one takes luggage depends on how one is traveling. If one is being picked up for a tour or taking taxi's to hotels, then large suitcase/s are the way to go. Same if going on a cruise. But you need to know that not all of us can do this. I travel with a small pack because I use public transportation. Not all buses will allow large bags unless it is a scheduled trip where most put in hold of bus. One cannot easily take large suitcase/s on a metro type transportation. You are fortunate that you are able to travel how you do. Please understand that not all of us can. And, I am very clean. Do people actually go away for a month and take 30 underwears? I find that it takes overnight to dry and hand wash works fine. Remember, this is fine dainty underwear that I would not put in washer at home. Happy Travels to all.

10. Re: The lost luggage experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions